Help! Local Drive changed from C to F

colonelmustard93

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Can anyone assist me to change a Local drive to C from F? Basically I had trouble with my PC and it kept crashing. Microsoft helped to reset Windows 10 but the Drivers are not the same as they were before. Before they were: C (Local), D, E, F.

But now they are: F (Local), E, G

This also causes an issue with a particular file: PowerDirector 15 file that won't load up my project and is saying that the files are missing. Originally the files were saved under C Drive (Local)

I appreciate if anyone can help me.

Many thanks.

Solution
Changing drive letter assignments for drives that have software installed to them may cause the software to stop working, especially if the software is older.

Fortunately, most of us do not have software installed to drives other than the primary drive (typically the C drive) but if you do, consider this your warning that you may need to reinstall the software after changing the drive letter.

You can not change the drive letter of the drive that the Windows operating system is installed on. If you'd like Windows to exist on a drive other than C, or whatever it happens to be now, you can make that happen but you'll have to complete a clean install of Windows to do it.

Source -...

USAFRet

Titan
Please post a screencap of your Disk Management window.
Without actually seeing that, all recommendations do not count.

(there will be many other questions)

Also, by "Microsoft helped to reset"...how did you happen to call them?
What was the original issue?

colonelmustard93

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Thank you for the reply. I phoned up Microsoft to assist me so they remotely controlled my PC. I phoned up Microsoft because my PC keeps crashing during rendering videos on video editing. The software I used was Cyberlink PowerDirector15 and Microsoft suggested to reset Windows 10. Microsoft then reset Windows 10 and I have all my files back. However the Drivers are all in a mess of the wrong lettering. How do I add an attachment for a screenshot? Sorry this very new to me.

USAFRet

Titan
So...
You have 3 x 1TB drives?
And the current OS drive seems to be Disk 0, the F drive?

In Disk Management, right click on that.
It should give you an option of "Change Drive letter and paths..."

HOWEVER...this is a bit risky.
Anytime you mess about with the boot drive letter, bad things may happen.

And I really can't see a Microsoft tech leaving your system in that state.

colonelmustard93

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

I said to Microsoft on the phone does it matter if the Local drive changes letter and they said it shouldn't be a problem. I have tried changing the Drive but it says 'The Parameter is incorrect'.

USAFRet

Titan

You selected "Change drive letter or path.." ?

If it choked on that command, then it will not let you do it from within that running OS.

colonelmustard93

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Yes I selected "Change drive letter or path". Is there another possible way of changing the file paths to Local Drive C?

USAFRet

Titan

I am unsure of how to change the drive letter for the OS, unless you do a full reinstall.

GamingInsider

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2015
Changing drive letter assignments for drives that have software installed to them may cause the software to stop working, especially if the software is older.

Fortunately, most of us do not have software installed to drives other than the primary drive (typically the C drive) but if you do, consider this your warning that you may need to reinstall the software after changing the drive letter.

You can not change the drive letter of the drive that the Windows operating system is installed on. If you'd like Windows to exist on a drive other than C, or whatever it happens to be now, you can make that happen but you'll have to complete a clean install of Windows to do it.

Source - https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-a-drive-letter-2626069

However, on my Windows 10 Pro edition, I am able to select a drive, however, I am not willing to change the drive letter to see if it works.

Diskmgmt.png

Solution