Question Help locating Realtek driver

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Not sure where this should have been posted. I’m having an issue with sound on my HP Envy x360. The latest Realtek driver sounds terrible (v6.0.8703.1). There are numerous older versions which sound much better but they only work with the headphone jack (no sound from speakers). So, I “rolled back” to an older version (v.10.0.18362.356) which sounds OKAY – both phones and speakers (except no Windows equalizer).

In case of a Windows update attack where the audio driver is updated, I want to be able to reinstall the version that works. Does anyone know where I can find a Realtek v10.0.18362.356 driver?

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
You should check HP website or Microsoft Catalog. You might not find that specif one but another similar.
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=realtek
Thank you Jojesa for your post. I did check HP's site first and tried numerous drivers there that did not help (some actually made it worse). I even called their tech support which was useless. I tried the driver "roll back" option on my own and it appears to help, but not the definitive answer. I would like the driver version saved so in the future I can reinstall if necessary. I don't trust Windows or HP for my backup. So, if anyone knows where I could download the Realtek v10.0.18362.365 driver would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve K.

....So, if anyone knows where I could download the Realtek v10.0.18362.365 driver would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve K.
Are you sure that's the driver version?
That driver number does look like a driver for other Realtek devices (card reader or camera ) or Conexant High-Definition Audio Driver.
What's the Realtek sound chip on your laptop?
What's your laptop model (e.g. HP ENVY x360 - m6-aq105dx)?

I checked several HP Envy x360 and they could have audio drivers from 2 different sound chips.

Also when you uninstall drivers select completely remove all software or it will keep old drivers files with new ones.

Last edited:

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Are you sure that's the driver version?
That driver number does look like a driver for other Realtek devices (card reader or camera ) or Conexant High-Definition Audio Driver.
What's the Realtek sound chip on your laptop?
What's your laptop model (e.g. HP ENVY x360 - m6-aq105dx)?

I checked several HP Envy x360 and they could have audio drivers from 2 different sound chips.

Also when you uninstall drivers select completely remove all software or it will keep old drivers files with new ones.

The laptop is a new HP Envy x360 –15cp0053cl purchased at Costco. The driver version that shows up in Device Manager under both “Audio inputs & outputs – Speakers & Headphones” and “Sound, Video and Game controllers – High Definition Audio” is Realtek v10.0.18362.356. I assumed that was the driver I am looking for. However, I do not see that as an available download option under HP’s support site.

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers numerous times.

Now I have a problem here in that I do not have the computer at this time. It’s actually my sister’s machine at here house in a different city so it becomes a bit of an issue to test this stuff. I was hoping to simply download the driver and be a happy camper but it sounds like that may not be possible.

I thank you all for you concern and input – much appreciated.

Whenever you get a hold of the laptop, check the Windows 10 version.
Since that's one of the first AMD Ryzen laptops it could have come with drivers that were removed.
That could happen if the drivers had a bug or some issue.
Try updating your laptop BIOS, the upgrade to the lates Windows 10 version...1909

EssKayKay

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Whenever you get a hold of the laptop, check the Windows 10 version.
Since that's one of the first AMD Ryzen laptops it could have come with drivers that were removed.
That could happen if the drivers had a bug or some issue.
Try updating your laptop BIOS, the upgrade to the lates Windows 10 version...1909

Thanks jojesa. HP tech did have me check both those things - I believe it is Win10 v1909 and the BIOS was up to date. I'll look at this all closer when I have access to the machine.

Again my thanks. . . .

Feb 5, 2020
wbmsmart.com
Realtek HD Audio Manager is usually located in C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA folder. Go to this location on your computer and find the RtHDVCpl.exe executable file. If it is there, select it and double-click it, the Realtek HD Audio Manager should open