[SOLVED] Help making a quiet pc

Feb 6, 2019
Hi!

I'm trying to assemble a quiet 1500$ budget pc, with an emphasis on processor power and some light AAA gaming in 1080p, apart from that i want to do some music production on it.

So far im using these builds for reference:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/1JSvP
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NDyM7W
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XwCHcc

The only concrete features i have/need is the intel i7 8700k, my preferrend video card would be a 1060 Ti or 1660 Ti if it releases soon, an ssd and a 2tb drive(might want to expand that later), and 8-16 gigs of ram.

But really my main concern is making the pc being as stable and quiet as can be on the budget, any help is greatly appreciated (sorry i might seem nooby i didnt build my rigs on my own before.)

Cheers!

Edit: P.S.: Parts would be brought from switzerland
P.S.(2): My reference for quietness is my uh, ps4 slim. When not in heavy scenes/loading it barely makes a sound, its very serene compared to my old PC that has a dying power supply and loud as heck fans. It's not essential for total quietness while gaming but while fooling around in FL Studio (music making program) and the processor working on 40-50% it should not screech like a high fantasy flying whale so i hear the sounds being edited properly and cleanly.

Some reference games would be: Dark souls 3, monster hunter, resident evil 2 remake, witcher 3, nier automata and the like
Reference apps: Fl studio/studio one 3, Adobe photoshop, Adobe after effect, and some programs if i want some video editing/rendering.

Lutfij

Titan
Moved thread from Components to Systems.

Might want to list your location and the list of all the apps and game titles you want to tax the system. I would also like to mention that like art, sound is a subjective matter where some have mentioned that they can hear the ticking of the fan motor even at the lowest RPM's while others can't hear it in spite of being pushed up against the component. On another note, there are instances of people picking up coil whine on passively cooled parts while others hd no reaction whatsoever.

In your reference builds, one doesn't have the processor or motherboard while another doesn't have the right board(or the right processor, depending on how you look at it). FYI, adding more fans can increase airflow but that just means more air is hit by the blade and this would mean more noise.

You might need to pay premium if you're worried about noise, going with Noctua/NoiseBlocker fans.

Do a lot of reading on quiet PC https://www.quietpc.com/

Perhaps a NUC and an external GPU? when not gaming the eGPU would be quiet as below 60C there'd be no fan noise, the NUC's are silent.

When building a quiet PC, choose each component carefully, don't build a PC then try to make it quiet, build a PC to be quiet.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($68.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370XP SLI (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($67.95 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Black Video Card ($689.89 @ B&H)
Case: be quiet! - Pure Base 600 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1589.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-06 07:24 EST-0500

Very much quiet. Powerful package best suited for your budget. Lot more powerful than GTX1060 build.

Solution

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I would ditch alll HDD for a quiet build, I can hear those over my Tricool fans sometimes in my Antec 900. A SSD though is completely silent.

Use fan gromets to dampen the fan vibration and pwn controlled fans are the best way to go. You can fine tune the RPM to be virtually silent and than ramp back up if the temps start to creep up out of your comfort zone. Do the same thing with the CPU and GPU. Just make sure there is some airflow even a little as having it completely off till it absolutely is necessary will result in more heat in the components than is necessary and probably the fans ramping up more often.

My wife’s computer has cheap low rpm fans which are not pwn controlled and my fan gromets did not fit but their fairly silent non the less. And I did the same thing with the cpu/gpu as I described so currently it’s completely silent unless your head is within a few inches of the case and I think it may be the PSU. Quiet was a secondary concern and was not how it was designed, it was more of an afterthought.