help me build a new gaming PC

brosborough

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Been 6 years since I built my last PC and it finally blew up today. Looking to build another but I've not kept up with the latest and greatest, what goes together, etc. I could use some help. I've been playing around on pcpartpicker but I just don't feel confident in my short term research tonight, when I came here to get reviews I see these kinds of questions asked, but all the posts I looked at are kind of old, or not using the price range I can go, so they didn't really fit. Hoping some of you wouldn't mind putting something togeter for me as I want to order this YESTERDAY! That is when my old PC blew up on me.

I will pretty much need almost everything including monitor, looking for at least a 27", don't care if it is LED or not, so long as refresh rate is not going to be my bottle neck. I don't need it to have built in speakers though. I have an older Christmas present, the USB Bose speaker set, it has a left and right speaker with the Bose subwoofer. I would like to continue to use that. Also won't need keyboard or mouse. What I currently have i'm pretty used to for gaming so not looking to change.

As far as overclocking goes. I've read up on it, watched 2 videos on it, looks fairly simple but what I keep hearing is that it will wear out my parts quicker than normal. I really couldn't tell if that meant 1 year or 5 if you overclock. Seeing as how the last PC I built has got to be 5-6 years old, I'm not sure I would like to do overclocking unless you guys tell me that it is just something i need to do to get the preformance out of my game.

My price range is around $1500.00, give or take. I can go up if need be, but i'm not looking to break into the $2000.00 mark.

And for the games I play, it is just World of Warcraft. I've never actually seen the game in anything but the low/fair game settings. I've tweeked it a little here and there, but can't really do much with my current PC that just died. Would be nice to see if this game looks any different displaying shadows or a view distance longer than 20 feet. Would also be nice to go into my 10/25 man raids and not have everything drop to 10 fps all of the sudden when everyones spell effects go off and the boss does something crazy. Many a times i've died cause i was standing in the fire and my pc wouldn't keep up to let me know that.

If you need any other info I can provide that as well. Hope you guys don't mind doing this for me, it will be much appreciated.

thank you in advance.

Solution
if you're not going to oc, then this is a solid start for you. i picked a good solid mobo but take a look at it to be sure it has features you may want/need. it does not sound like you need a lot so i went with a good z97 non oc board. power supply is way more than needed but it's modular and a good price and good quality. the i5-4460 is best bang for the non oc buck. i did not chose a case or monitor as a case is so personal for looks and such i thought i'd let you check those out (or possibly use the case you have now if you wish), i am not very well versed on monitors and am happy with almost anything so don't want o suggest something that might be subpar to you or others. i am on an lg 23" mp55 1080p led and think it's awesome...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you're not going to oc, then this is a solid start for you. i picked a good solid mobo but take a look at it to be sure it has features you may want/need. it does not sound like you need a lot so i went with a good z97 non oc board. power supply is way more than needed but it's modular and a good price and good quality. the i5-4460 is best bang for the non oc buck. i did not chose a case or monitor as a case is so personal for looks and such i thought i'd let you check those out (or possibly use the case you have now if you wish), i am not very well versed on monitors and am happy with almost anything so don't want o suggest something that might be subpar to you or others. i am on an lg 23" mp55 1080p led and think it's awesome though many hardcore gamers would prob scoff at it. the video card is very good and will play wow on ultra at 1080p no problem.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($172.94 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($96.48 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($217.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $759.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-14 21:37 EST-0500

as you can see it is only $750 which leaves a lot of room for monitor or for a better gpu if you wish. i only picked what you needed and not what you could afford.

Solution