[SOLVED] Help me build my pc?

Sep 7, 2019
Ok so how do I start?

I bought a pc on 2014 but there was some problem i sent it to the repair on 2017/2018 but just yesterday i realized the technician swapped my whole parts except the fan (long story, dont ask why or how) so my pc now has gone from this spec:
  • intel i3 4130
  • Asrock motherboard
  • Gtx 750
  • 4gb ram corsair
  • Seagate 1tb
To this:
  • motherboard: asustek p8h61-m lx r2.0
  • cpu: intel pentium g2010 @ 2.8 ghz, 2800 Mhz, 2 core, 2 logical pro... (got cut off from system information)
  • Gpu: onboard (intel hd graphics)
  • Power supply: hexa+ 500w
  • Hdd: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
  • Ram: 4 gb, no idea about the details
  • Casing: venomrx god of wind
Its super slow so I disnt even try to install games. My question is what should i do with it to be able to play games? Thinking of these options:

• Just add the GPU. If this is the option, what GPU should i buy to match 1060? Or at least very close?
  • Change the CPU and GPU. If this is the option. What CPU and GPU combo I should buy to be able to use 1060?
  • Change the motherboard, CPU and GPU. what should I buy to be able to use 1060?
Im thibking of using either i3/i5 but not sure which one depending on my needs....

More info:
  • im good with medium setting for 2018-2019 games but i expect older and much older games to run on high to ultra.
  • I prioritize stable 30fps but dont really care for 60fps.
  • Budget is usd500 for motherboard, cpu, AND gpu, if its not possible im fine with lower specs...
  • Sub-1080p monitor but maybe will replace with 1080p in the future...
  • My monitor has vga cable
  • Im a casual gamer i played some big name RPG like witcher 3 but i dont care about gaming tidbits nor do i play everyday/week
  • I really dont want too much power id probably wont use
Forgot to say, it will be for gaming exclusively. I have an ipad and (super) old macbook pro to do my works...

Last edited:
Solution
Yep. That's sufficient info.

The CPU Support List for that motherboard shows you can install an Intel Core I7-3770 processor. A new one will cost you over half your upgrade budget. If you don't mind going with a used one, they can be had for less than $100.

The Specifications for your motherboard show two RAM slots and a max 16GB. I'd scrap your current RAM for 2x8GB DDR3-1600 RAM or at a minimum, 2x4GB DDR3-1600 RAM.

In my opinion, this is just throwing money away, but it's your money. The system I linked above would easily out-power even these upgrades and if your stated budget excludes the GTX 1060, even better. You could probably even salvage the power supply from your current unit.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Impossible to say without knowing the exact specifications of your current system. With a $500 upgrade budget though, I'd probably toss the current hardware and look at something like the following:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.20 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: FSP Group Hyper M85+ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $494.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-07 09:18 EDT-0400

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Rewatches
Sep 7, 2019
I find it rather intriguing that you send a computer in for repair, got a completely different computer back from repair and didn't notice, even when plugging your monitor back in a different location.

The casing is the same, i didnt expect it at all, it got really slow but i really thought it was the ram and they also upgraded my windows to 10 from 8... so i ignored it bc i had no money and was busy with finals... i just turned it on again yesterday. For the record , im not tech savvy about hardware... Somebody built my previous build for me but i had to ask around for specs and just turned it in as is... i know I was really dumb but i swear wont got fooled twice... dammit!!! Was really mad but slowly letting it go now...

Impossible to say without knowing the exact specifications of your current system. With a $500 upgrade budget though, I'd probably toss the current hardware and look at something like the following:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.20 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: FSP Group Hyper M85+ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $494.16

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker2019-09-07 09:18 EDT-0400

-Wolf sends

Thanks, wolf. My full specifications right now:

• motherboard: asustek p8h61-m lx r2.0
  • cpu: intel pentium g2010 @ 2.8 ghz, 2800 Mhz, 2 core, 2 logical pro... (got cut off from system information)
  • Gpu: onboard (intel hd graphics)
  • Power supply: hexa+ 500w
  • Hdd: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
  • Ram: 4 gb, no idea about the details
  • Casing: venomrx god of wind
Is this enough? And if yes will the specs change since i only need whatever it takes to use 1060 or equivalent/closer alternative, i really want to keep the ram and power supply at the very least... to shave cost... or if 4gb is really lacking, then 8gb... max... ill edit the topic...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yep. That's sufficient info.

The CPU Support List for that motherboard shows you can install an Intel Core I7-3770 processor. A new one will cost you over half your upgrade budget. If you don't mind going with a used one, they can be had for less than $100.

The Specifications for your motherboard show two RAM slots and a max 16GB. I'd scrap your current RAM for 2x8GB DDR3-1600 RAM or at a minimum, 2x4GB DDR3-1600 RAM.

In my opinion, this is just throwing money away, but it's your money. The system I linked above would easily out-power even these upgrades and if your stated budget excludes the GTX 1060, even better. You could probably even salvage the power supply from your current unit.

-Wolf sends

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ An i7 3770 is not a BAD proc, even by today's standard. The biggest performance aspect would be turning off the Spectre and Meltdown mitigations. If you are on YouTube, check out TechYesCity, as he does lot of good reviews on older equipment like that, so far as what to expect from that manner of improvement.

With that said, I agree fully with Wolf and his parts recommendation above is not only MORE than solid, but will be a whole new universe of performance based on what you have, what you can upgrade to on that platform as well as offering a decent level of future proof"ness".

Sep 7, 2019
Okay thank you guys... if i take wolf’s original post and want to upgrade. Can i just upgrade only the graphic card? Or do i have to upgrade the whole thing again?

Sep 7, 2019
Im gonna go with your original post since im planning to play monster hunter i guess it doesnt hurt to future proof... my supplier came back to me with this:

procie: AMD Ryzen 5 Pinnacle Ridge 2600 3.4Ghz Up To 3.9Ghz Cache 16MB 65W AM4 [Box] (AMPSSSAM4000P018X)- 6 Core - YD2600BBAFBOX - With AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler AMD AM4

mobo: ASRock B450M-HDV (ASRMBAAM4005X) AMD Socket AM4

ram: Corsair CMK8GX4M2A2666C16R (2x4Gb) (CSDIMM4D0010X ) DDR4

hdd: Gigabyte RX 570 4GB DDR5 GAMING - GV-RX570GAMING-4GD(GBGPEARX57002) Ati Radeon PCI Exp.

The only thing i can see that differs is the mobo, hdv vs pro4. Is the difference big? I kept my previous build for years without adding anything so I guess its safe just to go with hdv? Also can I go with 1x8gb ram? So i can just buy another 8 gb if i wanna upgrade...

Wolfshadw

Titan
It's a good rig. There isn't going to be much difference between the two motherboards. There shouldn't be anything noticeable in system performance differences (if there's any at all). RAM on the other hand is a different story. It used to be that you could just add more RAM at a later date and it would work just fine. These days, unless it's from the exact same manufacturing batch, even same model RAM may have compatibility issues with older RAM.

As an example. You purchase a 1x8GB RAM Module. Three months from now, you purchase the exact same model number 1x8GB RAM module. Except this module came from a different manufacturing batch and it might not work with your existing RAM.

You'd be better off buying your RAM in kits. If all you can afford is 2x4 (or 1x8), get that. Just be ready to REPLACE it when you decide to upgrade to 16/32GB RAM.

-Wolf sends