Help me choose a motherboard.

DatDinkleberg

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
I'm building a gaming PC next week and I'm kinda hesitated about which motherboard should I get, I'm building my PC around a red and black theme, my local store doesn't have a wide range of motherboards, so my options are the ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer, and the ASUS Maximus VII Ranger, they're 189$ and 226$ respectively, and that's without VAT, there's the Z97-A at 179$ but it's not red and black, there's also MSI motherboards which are all cheaper than the Ranger, the Z97A Gaming 7 is 220$, the Z97A Gaming 6 is 189$, and the Gaming 5 is 174$, problem is that I have heard bad things about MSI motherboards. Which motherboard should I get ?

Solution
The Pro Gamer fits the Red Black scheme though the Z97-A is a great mobo also (have done 9 builds on them), I myself won't touch MSI due to their poor QC

DatDinkleberg

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

So you don't advise me to get the Ranger ?

neverumindnow

Reputable
May 29, 2015
I, too have found out the hard way that MSI sells crap. I have had much better luck with Asus. My latest build is using the Z97-a, and I'm very happy with it. the Asus UEFI firmware and its interface are the best, IMO. Since you don't appear to be too worried about cost, get the red/black Asus.

DatDinkleberg

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

Other than the looks (and bragging rights since it's a ROG), it offers pretty much the same features as the Pro Gamer, the only features I need are ethernet, at least 2 USB 3.0 ports, good integrated audio and CF/SLI capability which I'm sure both have.