Help me choose a portable gaming / workstation laptop

mmdup93

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
Greetings community

I need to buy a new laptop for work and gaming purposes, and it has to be PORTABLE. I have a new job and I travel a lot due to it, so I need a powerfull yet portable laptop that I can take with me anywhere without hurting my back.

So far I've used an Asus ROG G750JM (since 2014), It's very bulky but at the time ob buying it, I didn't have to travel at all, so the weight wasn't such an issue. Now I need portability the most, and the G750 is already aged.

I'll be using the laptop mainly for work purposes: 3d rendering, photo editing and some slight video editing, as well as gaming in my free time.

Main features I need would be:
-Portability: as I said I travel a lot, so I don't want anything above 6 to 6.5 pounds (I'd like to keep weight as low as possible). Screen size can be either 15" or 17" (not more nor less), but LIGHTWEIGHT.
-Performance: the best CPU/GPU a portable laptop can have at this time.

-Battery life: doesn't need to be great (I know gaming laptpos aren't renowned for their battery life), I just need it to last long for me to unplug it, move to one place to another and plug it back. I won't be doing heavy work (or any work at all due to travel sickness) during my travels.

-Price to performance ratio: this is an important point, cause I do need the best performance, however, I'm not willing to pay a heavy premium just for a 5 to 10 percent increase in performance over a cheaper laptop (see below)

-My budget can go all the way up to $3000 usd. I'm planning to buy in the US market, most likely via online retailers.

I have two options so far: the ASUS ROG ZEPHYRUS and the ACER PREDATOR TRITON 700. Both pack pretty much the same specs, and cost almost the same (~ $2800) yet the Acer comes with 32gb of ram and two NVME SSD in Raid 0, wich I could chance in the future for a 500gb SSD for OS and a 1 - 2Tb SSD for storage. The Asus is limited to 24gb of ram and only one M.2 slot. Other specs are the same: Core i7 7700HQ and GTX 1080 Max-Q, (and here comes the problem)
I've done some research and some forums say the GTX 1080 Max-Q is almost the same thing as a GTX 1070 (don't know if they refer speciffically to DESKTOP GTX 1070 or the LAPTOP version). The point is, I can buy a GTX 1070 based laptop, also portable, for almost $1000 less than the above options, and as I said, I'm not willing to pay an extra $1000 just for 5% extra performance, and I could use any cash left to also upgrade my desktop or go on vacation :)

I also looked at the Asus's laptop option with the Ryzen 7 1700 and the RX580 4gb, but it's a little bit heavy and the RX580 doesn't ring the bell to me.

So I ask this community for help. Wich laptop should I buy??

Also, is it a good idea to buy now (I really need a lightweight laptop, the G750 is killing me!!) or should I wait a couple of months to see if something better comes out??

Best regards to you all and thank you in advance.

PS: sorry if my english isn't very good

Solution
MIght be worth to checkout the review.

the aorus has got a better panel , 4kips
wheres the asus has got a full hd 120 hz monitor.

thats a big thing to keep in mind

mmdup93

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
I'll stick to the Asus then, I prefer higher refresh rate rather than higher resolution, and I have already used Asus' laptops and they're very good.
Thanks a lot, best regards!!