Which Toshiba laptop between these two:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

javoec

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hi to the Tom's Hardware community.

I've searched a lot for laptops that I can buy in my country, Ecuador, and I've come up with these 2 Toshiba laptops (both with near price range).

1. Toshiba Satellite Pro S300-S2503
http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite-pro/S300/S300-S2503 | Official Specs PDF
Processor: Core 2 Duo P8400 2,26Ghz
RAM: 3GB PC-6400 DDR2 800MHz (up to 4GB)
HDD: 250GB (5400 rpm)
Display: 15.4" widescreen (1280x800, Supports 720p content)
Graphics: Intel GMA 4500MHD
USB ports: 3 (2.0), 1-eSATA/USB (2.0) combo port with Sleep and Charge
Wireless: a/g/n
Extras: Webcam Bluetooth, Finger print reader, Gigabit Network Connection, Bridge Media Adapter

2. Toshiba Satellite L305-S5909
http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/L300/L305-S5909 | Official Specs PDF
Processor: Core 2 Duo P7350 2,0Ghz
RAM: 4GB PC-6400 DDR2 800MHz (up to 8GB with 64bits OS)
HDD: 320GB (5400 rpm)
Display: 15.4" widescreen (1280x800, Supports 720p content)
USB ports: 3 (2.0)
Wireless: a/g/n
Extras: Webcam, Easykeys Buttons (Play/Pause, Stop, Prev Track, Next Track,Mute, Media), 4-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter

I used these pages for Processor and Graphics Cards ratings:
Procesors: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html
Graphics Cards: http://optimitza.cat/news/2008/09/03/laptop-graphic-card-performance-geforce-9200m-9300m-9500m-9600m-mobility-radeon-3450-3470-3650/

I want to keep the laptop the longest time possible.

I want to use the laptop for design with Adobe CS3 (maybe CS4) Photoshop, Ilustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks mostly. I've read that Photoshop doesn't need a great Graphics card (except for 3D) but better processor and RAM. I also would use it less for gaming, with kinda old games, that's why I've not searched for a better Graphic Card.

I also browse a lot and listen to music, but I don't watch full length movies.

I want to know what it would be more important in the future. The 1. Toshiba Satellite Pro S300-S2503 has a better processor (P8400) but is only expandible to 4GB of RAM. The 2. Toshiba Satellite L305-S5909 has a lower processor (P7350) but is expandible up to 8GB of RAM (with 64bits OS).

If you had problems with Toshiba laptops or good opinions, please let me know, because over here Toshiba is known for endurance.

Thanks in advance!.

I would take the second one - the extra RAM will be more important than a 200MHz clock boost.

Neither of these are very good for picture editing, however - they both have smaller, low resolution screens. You should really be looking for something 17" and 1680x1050.

What's your budget?

javoec

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

Thanks for the reply!

I was also thinking about the 2nd one because of that. My budget is about 1100 USD. Since I live in Ecuador, South America, I've not a lot of options, like buying one from the Internet, so I had to search in local retailers only.

I know the resolution is not that big but I need to carry the laptop in a backpack sometimes, so a bigger screen is a problem if you've carry it (and you've the problem with burglars if you carry it in a laptop briefcase over here). The main problem about the screen resolution is the few options that I've over here.

Santa J

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I am on my third Toshiba laptop now and the first two were brilliant, absolutely excellent machines so I didn't hesitate to buy a third. I will NEVER buy a Toshiba product EVER again - the build quality of my new machine is rubbish, it is unreliable, noisy, truly awful. My first Toshiba laptop lasted 10 years, the second was great but I had an, er, orange juice incident, this one is about a year old and I think I'll be lucky if I get another year out of it. It hasn't even had heavy use - all I do is surf the net, watch the odd DVD and use iTunes. Pile of crap. I've recommended Toshiba to others for years based on my past experience but this newer machine is a completely different beast, cheap and nasty. I'd recommend now that you get anything but a Toshiba. Oh, and I used to live in Ecuador - BEAUTIFUL country :).

javoec

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for replying! And is nice to know you like Ecuador :)

Well, over here Toshiba is known because is more resistant than other laptops.. what you say is worrying me, but you're just saying you had problems (something very vague).. I would like to know the exact problems you had with your 3rd Toshiba, and the exact model number please, so I can verify the problems you had.

I was also checking out this HP Dv4-1125 that has these specs:
Processor: Core 2 Duo T5800 2,0Ghz
RAM: 4GB PC-6400 DDR2 800MHz (up to 8GB)
HDD: 250GB (5400 rpm)
Display: 14.1" widescreen (1280x800)
USB ports: 4 (2.0) 1-eSATA/USB (2.0) combo port
Wireless: a/g/n with SpeedBooster support
Extras: HDMI Port, S-video out, Webcam, Finger print reader, 5-in-1 Digital Media Reader
It has the extras of the HDMI :wahoo: and S-Video port and 1 USB/eSATA combo port.

The problem is the T5800 processor, that is older (almost the same than the P7350 in speed, less cache) and because of that it consumes more energy (is a 65 nanometers processor).. that means less battery and more fan sound (more heat :sweat:). I've read that the battery last near 2 hours max. according to many reviews

The main problem is that every friend that had or has a HP laptop over here had problems :heink: . Two of my friends had dead wireless cards because of the heat (HP with AMD). Other friend had a 12' HP laptop with a problem (or incompatibility) between the Graphic Card and Aero from Windows Vista (the OS died after a few moments using the laptop) ..and that didn't had a solution, only complaints over the Internet when I tried to fix that.

HP laptops look better somehow but I don't know, is just look or is really also good in the inside? A friend bought a used Toshiba Tecra that doesn't even blink, and he travels in the city a lot. I know business laptops are stronger and better but also heavier, and have less extras and ports.

I owned several Toshiba notebooks in my lifetime, or have used them. I can say that their older ones (5 years+) weren't built very well, but they were solid (in that the design itself wasn't visually appealing or very versatile to suit a computer, but they didn't fall apart). The newer ones are much better designed, and I would say about the same level of build quality.

Don't worry about the CPU being older technology. A new one might give you 10 minutes more of battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.