Help me choose the right Mobo

bulletbutter

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
So it is my understanding that the new Z270 line of motherboards are more or less for the Kaby Lake "K" (unlocked) CPUs. While I understand the appeal of having the ability to OC, its something that I just could really care less about. I am not interested in doing it the least bit, but I have researched it well enough to know all I feel I need to know.

I plan on grabbing a GTX 1080, would like to use an M.2 (or a few) but mostly stick to SSD, and I would like to max out the RAM on the motherboard I end up with (...just because I feel bad for not filling up those DIMMs :p).

I recently purchased an i7-7700, purposely not getting the unlocked version of the CPU. I was needing to know if there is a "new line" of motherboards for the locked version of Kaby Lake. Should I just grab a H110/Z170 motherboard or just go ahead with a Z270? Will I run into any issues as far as getting an OC mobo but having the locked Kaby? Does it even matter so long as the socket fits, all other hardware is matched and the mobo has what I want/need?

In all my 10+ years of building PCs, I've never really looked into that part of compatibility. I've just matched up the socket and rest of the hardware and never had too many issues, but I've done almost nothing but AMD exclusively.

I realize the Kaby hasn't been out that long but I just don't want to get myself into a spot where the mobo and CPU give me too many issues.

Solution
You can get Kaby Lake B250 and H270 boards too, that arent designed for overclocking. z170 and z270 are the OC chipsets.

If you get any Skylake board you will need a Skylake CPU to update the BIOS before its compatible with a Kaby CPU, unless you get an advanced board with CPU-free BIOS update features.

Just go for a lower priced B250 board.
You can get Kaby Lake B250 and H270 boards too, that arent designed for overclocking. z170 and z270 are the OC chipsets.

If you get any Skylake board you will need a Skylake CPU to update the BIOS before its compatible with a Kaby CPU, unless you get an advanced board with CPU-free BIOS update features.

Just go for a lower priced B250 board.

Solution