Help me control the speed of top mounted fans on a Define R6

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Good day everyone. I'm getting ready to put together a new build which includes the Fractal Design R6. Silence is my highest priority but with installing a 1080ti, a GTX 1060 and an 8700K, I have concerns about thermal venting. What I want to try is removing their optional top and installing two 140mm Noctua NF-A14 PWMs. Can someone tell me how I can control those two fans separately from the rest of the system? Because they are mounted at the top, I just don't want to hear them rev up and down. Ideally I would like to do this without the use of a separate fan controller. Is there anything available native to the R6 or my Asus Hero X, or anything else that will let me set one speed to control both of those fans?

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, if anyone is familiar with the Define R6 and has used fans at the top; Do I need to remove that metal grid that is there for use with a fill port etc?

Solution
If case doesn't have dedicated fan controller, just connect fans to MB and one of CHA_Fan headers. Than you can control them thru BIOS or SW.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
The Define R6 does have a dedicated fan controller but the controller itself must be plugged into a fan header on the MB and has no hardware control. I'm not well versed in fan control but I'll try what you suggest and attempt to control them from the BIOS. Not sure what, "SW" is.