[SOLVED] Help me decide between amd and nvidia?!

Jan 28, 2020
I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a new video card upgrade. I'm currently running two r9 390x in crossfire to run a 40in 4k theater display and oculus rift. Monitors plugged into one card and the oculus into the other. Now here's my issue, as you could imagine the r9s are struggling a bit to keep the newest titles running at 4k. I've got about 1k-1300 for a new set of cards (or card).

The cards I'm looking at are
2x 5700xt @ $360per
2x Radeon VII @$550per
2x RTX 2070 Super @$500per
Or a single 2080ti @$1200
Each will be watercooled and overclocked a bit.
My system consists of a e5-1650v3 on a gigabyte x99 gaming board paired with 32gb ddr4 ram.

I've also decided to get into coding and some light game design and want to upgrade my system to handle it a bit more easily. What setup would you guys run given the mobo and CPU stay the same (ryzen build maybe next year)

Solution
Are you trying to run 4K ultra? Well yeah, even the 2080Ti will have trouble keeping over 60fps then. Turn the settings down; 4K is still visually appealing even at medium and low isn't it?

AMDs "nvidia killer"
With what they've launched so far, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
Unlike Intel, Nvidia wasn't lounging around at the beach enjoying the view, babes, and martinis.
Jan 28, 2020
I would recommend 2x RTX 2070 Supers. would as that would be epic
My thoughts exactly! Twin OC'd watercooled 2070supers would be nice.. though I forgot to mention the way the cards will be set I wont be able to use the sli bridge(hence the amd cards). Which will impact performance i think?

Single 2080Ti for the simple fact that you won't be able to utilize a multi gpu setup all the time.
Thought about this one for a bit, especially due to the issue with the bridge as mentioned above, but benchmarks still show it struggle at full 4k in some titles. Which makes me wonder how itll do running both the oculus while simultaneously showing the same video on the monitor..

I should've also mentioned I dont mind holding off a bit as I know nvidia has the rumored 3070 and 3080 on the way, as well as AMDs "nvidia killer" but if performance will be about the same I'll just upgrade now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Are you trying to run 4K ultra? Well yeah, even the 2080Ti will have trouble keeping over 60fps then. Turn the settings down; 4K is still visually appealing even at medium and low isn't it?

AMDs "nvidia killer"
With what they've launched so far, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
Unlike Intel, Nvidia wasn't lounging around at the beach enjoying the view, babes, and martinis.

Solution
Jan 28, 2020
Yes, 4k ultra, and yes, lower 4k still looks good but have you tried ultra 4k irl? Once you play at that level everything else is kinda mehhh lol. I feel that at a price point of about 1200 I dont see how turning the settings down is an option. If I was going to settle with turning the settings down I'd settle with a cheaper card all together.

The reason I still hold amd there is out of curiosity if the 4.0 pcie lanes will impact it in any way? Maybe it underperforms cause its bottlenecking on the pcie lanes.

Wonder how crossfire radeon 7 under water would do on a ryzen system with the 4.0 lanes