[SOLVED] Help me decide which one should i upgrade first

PeyoteFTW

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
Just bought new Asus laptop its TUF FX505DT with Ryzen 5 3550h processor, 8GB 24000mhz Ram, 1TB hard drive and Gtx 1650 gpu.

I am planning to upgrade either ram or ssd for my laptop. But because i only have money for one part only, i decided to ask you guys here.
I read on internet if you add 1 more 8gb ram the ryzen performance gonna boost.

What do you guys suggest me to upgrade first?

Solution
stock means the speed the RAM is meant to work in your case 2400. XMP or eXpanded Memory Profiles should be in the BIOS. XMP enabled means you can put in DDR4 3000 RAM and the system will work at that speed.

if you do not have an SSD in the system now, some models shipped with one yours IDK. if you have an SSD now the RAM is the choice. if no SSD the SSD would serve to speed up access times across the board.
usually RAM is the first upgrade choice while 8GB is on the low end its by no means unworkable. I have 8GB. If you have no SSD a slow spinning drive is the biggest bottleneck you have now.

TLDR
if it has SSD get the RAM (faster matched set of two sticks)
if no SSD get SSD

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it may not be as easy as chucking in another stick. Ryzen does love the bandwidth that dual channel memory provides, but the sticks need to be mates/matches and not just make and model. the only way to guarantee that you get the boost ryzen loves is to remove the stick you have and replace with a matched set. if you just throw in another stick it may continue along in single channel and the boost will be less than expected.

is your system running the RAM at stock or is XMP (eXpanded Memory Profiles) enabled? you may want to get faster than stock RAM (ryzen sweet spot seems to be 2933) in the matched set to get all the system has to offer. XMP faster clocks and a dual channel memory bus.

if you do not already have an SSD in the system the decision gets murkier. the SSD may be the cheaper path if you want dual channel (1xSSD vs 2xSticks of RAM). if the budget is the deciding factor an SSD would be beneficial if none already present and you are not getting out of memory errors. if you NEED more RAM then that is your answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeyoteFTW

PeyoteFTW

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
it may not be as easy as chucking in another stick. Ryzen does love the bandwidth that dual channel memory provides, but the sticks need to be mates/matches and not just make and model. the only way to guarantee that you get the boost ryzen loves is to remove the stick you have and replace with a matched set. if you just throw in another stick it may continue along in single channel and the boost will be less than expected.

is your system running the RAM at stock or is XMP (eXpanded Memory Profiles) enabled? you may want to get faster than stock RAM (ryzen sweet spot seems to be 2933) in the matched set to get all the system has to offer. XMP faster clocks and a dual channel memory bus.

if you do not already have an SSD in the system the decision gets murkier. the SSD may be the cheaper path if you want dual channel. if the budget is the deciding factor an SSD would be beneficial if none already present and you are not getting out of memory errors. if you NEED more RAM then that is your answer.

More complicated than i thought. To be honest i really new about upgrading stuff especially for laptop. At the first I thought all i need to do is buy new 8GB DDR 4 2400mhz ram and plug it and done. And i am so sorry I don't get it what does stock ram or XMP mean.
But if i can understand you correctly, you do suggest buy the SSD first then RAM. Correct ?
And do you need more detail specifications about my ram? I can provide you by using 3rd software like CPU ID.

WE can make it really difficulet but its actually pretty easy.

1) in order to relace your ram it needs to match 3 things
  • it has to be ddr4
  • it has to be SO-DIMM
  • it needs to be exactly 2 of the same sticks(so buy it in a kit)

2 and last..

I would replace the 1tb hdd with a ssd.
Samsung western digital and crucial are my brands to go.
its very unlikely you hit a ram bottleneck.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
stock means the speed the RAM is meant to work in your case 2400. XMP or eXpanded Memory Profiles should be in the BIOS. XMP enabled means you can put in DDR4 3000 RAM and the system will work at that speed.

if you do not have an SSD in the system now, some models shipped with one yours IDK. if you have an SSD now the RAM is the choice. if no SSD the SSD would serve to speed up access times across the board.
usually RAM is the first upgrade choice while 8GB is on the low end its by no means unworkable. I have 8GB. If you have no SSD a slow spinning drive is the biggest bottleneck you have now.

TLDR
if it has SSD get the RAM (faster matched set of two sticks)
if no SSD get SSD

Solution