Question Help me: "IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller" / SATA AHCI Controller -DeviceManager

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
This is my PC:

BIOS mode = UEFI
CPU : INTEL Core i7 8086k 4GHz
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
Ram: : Kingston 32 GB DDR4 4000MHz
Display : ASUS PB287Q 3840x2160 70Hz
MemoryDrive : SAMSUNG SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 1TB
MotherBoard : MSI Z370 A Pro E7B48IMS.280

Now to my question:

In the DeviceManager which can be found in the ControlPanel, i have installed latest drivers for most devices, but theres one thing called:
"IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller" when i klick on this i get the following information: Standard SATA AHCI- Controller,
I have always used the standard controller my pc is running fine with that. I want to know is there any options to download some
"better" driver which my pc can benefit from?
As you saw in my pc specs im using SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2, now inside of my BIOS i have SATA MODE = AHCI MODE set. the M.2 Optane Genie
function is disabled, i have heared to benefit from this option i should use 2 NVMe drives, is that correct?
Back to main question, i was looking for MSI, NVIDIA, SAMSUNG, and Intel if they offer SATA AHCI Controller, i found only INTEL are
offering these drivers. should i get them? if yes why? are there any other options then intel? those SATA AHCI Controllers are being
installed on the Motherboard correct? so why does MSI not have those to download when my motherboard is from msi?

This is all i could find: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-
Please leave me a link if you got something else, and let me know why i would use it.
Thanks for helping!

theres one thing called:"IDE ATA/ATAPI-Controller" when i klick on this i get the following information: Standard SATA AHCI- Controller,
I want to know is there any options to download some "better" driver which my pc can benefit from?
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver (On-Board PIDE/SATA Drivers section)
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-A-PRO#down-driver&Win10 64

As you saw in my pc specs im using SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2, now inside of my BIOS i have SATA MODE = AHCI MODE set. the M.2 Optane Genie
function is disabled, i have heared to benefit from this option i should use 2 NVMe drives, is that correct?
No. You should not. Optane caching is used to speed up mechanical hdds using optane cache. You do not want 970 pro being used as HDD cache.

i was looking for MSI, NVIDIA, SAMSUNG, and Intel if they offer SATA AHCI Controller, i found only INTEL are
offering these drivers. should i get them? if yes why? are there any other options then intel? those SATA AHCI Controllers are being
installed on the Motherboard correct? so why does MSI not have those to download when my motherboard is from msi?
SATA controller is built into motherboard chipset. Chipset of your motherboard is manufactured by Intel. Intel provides drivers.
MSI provides them too. You just didn't looked carefully enough.
Download link from answer to your first question.

Help4567

BANNED
Sep 9, 2019
SSD 970 Pro NVMe M.2 is not a SATA drive and does not use the SATA AHCI- Controller. It is the only storage drive you list.

then how am i running my system at this moment with SATA AHCI mode with the 970 pro nvme ?
because thats exactly what my bios say and i actually beleve what stands there.

i cant use raid because that will only work using 2 nvme drives and i use only 1

then how am i running my system at this moment with SATA AHCI mode with the 970 pro nvme ?
because thats exactly what my bios say and i actually beleve what stands there.

i cant use raid because that will only work using 2 nvme drives and i use only 1

970 pro is an nvme drive and interfaces directly with the PCIE bus (PCIe x 4, gen 3 supported).

There should be a Samsung NVME Controller driver listed in the Storage controllers fly-out in Device Manager. If there isn't it was never installed and it's probably using the Standard NVM Express Controller by Microsoft.

If Samsung's NVME driver is 'better' I haven't noticed. It's probably only necessary to provide interface hooks for Samsung's drive management and diagnostics utilities. If you go to Samsung's web site and search for drivers and utilities for it you'll find them and the driver.

Last edited: