[SOLVED] Help Me Install M.2 NVME SSD For The First Time (MB Heatsink, extra 2 small Pads, M.2 Screws)

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi, i'm trying to install WD Blue SN570 M.2 2280 NVME Single Sided SSD on Asus Prime B560M-A Link to MB.

Here's the system : PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

My questions are mainly about the M.2 Screw and SSD 2 small pads packages motherboard came with.

1:This SSD is 2280 so do i need to install/uninstall any more screws from package judging from the picture of the M.2 Slot?
2: What are these 2 small pads for SSD MB came with and how do i apply them, where do i put them e.t.c. It says on the package to stick on the existing pad, but i don't understand where?

This is the heatsink and SSD itself:

Last edited:
Solution
I unscrewed heatsink from slot 1 and tested on slot 2, fits perfectly. I can screw heatsink to M.2 slot 2 with no problems, so how do I use these 2 small pads with it?
First - you remove sticker on heatsink, that says "REMOVE",
then you put thermal pads on M.2 drive covering all the chips.

After this is done, install M.2 drive and
attach the heatsink.
Hi, i'm trying to install WD Blue SN570 M.2 2280 NVME Single Sided SSD on Asus Prime B560M-A Link to MB.

Here's the system : PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560M-A Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

My questions are mainly about the M.2 Screw and SSD 2 small pads packages motherboard came with.

1:This SSD is 2280 so do i need to install/uninstall any more screws from package judging from the picture of the M.2 Slot?
2: What are these 2 small pads for SSD MB came with and how do i apply them, where do i put them e.t.c. It says on the package to stick on the existing pad, but i don't understand where?

This is the heatsink and SSD itself:
1. you dont need to uninstall anything, the screw for the heatsink will be enough for it (scheme is: Put ssd on slot and allign it with the standoff for the heatsink > screw the heatsink > all done)

2. Those pads are for the m.2 heatsink.

3. since you use 10th gen cpu you wont be able to use the m.2 slot with heatsink cause its exclusive to 11th gen only per Asus spec page. You will need to install it on the 2nd m.2 slot with the screw avalilable and fit for the standoff.

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
1. you dont need to uninstall anything, the screw for the heatsink will be enough for it (scheme is: Put ssd on slot and allign it with the standoff for the heatsink > screw the heatsink > all done)

2. Those pads are for the m.2 heatsink.

3. since you use 10th gen cpu you wont be able to use the m.2 slot with heatsink cause its exclusive to 11th gen only per Asus spec page. You will need to install it on the 2nd m.2 slot with the screw avalilable and fit for the standoff.
Thanks for replying, I'm aware that I can't use m.2 slot 1 for ssd because of CPU, but I unscrewed heatsink from slot 1 and tested on slot 2, fits perfectly. I can screw heatsink to M.2 slot 2 with no problems, so how do I use these 2 small pads with it?

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
First - you remove sticker on heatsink, that says "REMOVE",
then you put thermal pads on M.2 drive covering all the chips.

After this is done, install M.2 drive and
attach the heatsink.
By chips you mean the cube/rectangular shaped black surface right? It has 3 in total, big one left side on the picture and 2 smaller ones on the right. How do I fit 2 pads on all of them?

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Combine small and large pads to cover all the chips.
It's probably enough just to use large pad. If some chip is left uncovered, then use small pad also.

I'm sure, you can figure this out. ;)
Quick question: Should I have screwed the ssd in place with heatsink screw? Because that's what I did.You know when you insert ssd into motherboard and push it down with finger on the other side, there's one screw to hold ssd in place right? I tried separate screw but then heatsink can't screw in that same hole, so I just pushed down ssd with finger and screwed both heatsink sides, did I do it wrong?