[SOLVED] Help me pick pls

Aug 18, 2019
So my huntkey power supply broke (yes I didnt know they are terrible) good thing is it didnt exploded just one tick noise when I plug it then no power and no fan spinning

Anyway I'm currently choosing whether COOLER MASTER MWE 550WATTS GOLD (non modular version) or SEASONIC M12II 520WATTS EVO BRONZE (full modular) pls help

Idk which one is better and durable

All I want is a durable psu anyway if u can recommend me something better here's the website I can only buy from (they have buggy website) I have max budget of 4k peso and I want 450watts bronze or above

!!!! EDIT !!!!

Ok so I'm back realizing it will take months here to restock their CoolerMaster MWE 550 watts gold (non modular)

So I got new choices which one do you guys think i should pick? CX550M bronze 550 watts(gray label and semi modular), EVGA 550GD 550watts (gold non modular) or should I just wait for restocking of cm 550watts mwe gold?

All opinions will be appreciated thanks

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019
Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Tier lists are rather subjective and they are often out of date. In general, Seasonic makes better PSUs than CM. Hard to go wrong with them. Your call on what to use, though.

I would not worry about the temperature.

I have used (and recommended) Seasonic PSUs for many years. I have never had an issue with any of them.

Reactions: Hamsterfat
Aug 18, 2019
Tier lists are rather subjective and they are often out of date. In general, Seasonic makes better PSUs than CM. Hard to go wrong with them. Your call on what to use, though.

I would not worry about the temperature.

I have used (and recommended) Seasonic PSUs for many years. I have never had an issue with any of them.
Okay so u prefer seasonic M12II evo?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Admittedly, I'm a big Seasonic fan. But as the schemes go nowadays, I'd definitely opt for the CM Gold over the Seasonic. The M12II is not that great in the Seasonic line and the lower wattage certainly, it will do the job perfectly fine, but in their line, it certainly isn't there best, good for it's day, but not necessarily anymore. if it was a higher wattage one then maybe, but

The CM Gold on the other hand is a decent PSU, it just usually costs much more than it's worth in many parts. But it handles cross load well, DC-DC, good caps, good stability etc.

If you were referring to the MWE Bronze - then I'd go Seasonic any day. But the gold is a decent unit. I'd still choose a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold over it though! - just not the M12II

Aug 18, 2019
Admittedly, I'm a big Seasonic fan. But as the schemes go nowadays, I'd definitely opt for the CM Gold over the Seasonic. The M12II is not that great in the Seasonic line and the lower wattage certainly, it will do the job perfectly fine, but in their line, it certainly isn't there best, good for it's day, but not necessarily anymore. if it was a higher wattage one then maybe, but

The CM Gold on the other hand is a decent PSU, it just usually costs much more than it's worth in many parts. But it handles cross load well, DC-DC, good caps, good stability etc.

If you were referring to the MWE Bronze - then I'd go Seasonic any day. But the gold is a decent unit. I'd still choose a Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold over it though! - just not the M12II
okay thank you very much that cleared my mind xD

much appreciated for everyone that replied on my thread ty all

Aug 18, 2019
Ok so I'm back realizing it will take months here to restock their CoolerMaster MWE 550 watts gold (non modular)

So I got new choices which one do you guys think i should pick? CX550M bronze 550 watts(gray label and semi modular), EVGA 550GD 550watts (gold non modular) or should I just wait for restocking of cm 550watts mwe gold?

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
CX550M is a fairly good unit, I've got a 650M myself and can vouch for at least a year's longevity with no issues (plus some good looking cables). The EVGA may be a better buy just based off of the power efficiency, the modular bit only really matters if you're looking for perfect aesthetic. Some of the cables with the CXM series come detached, and can be added/removed as needed. The EVGA will have all cables permanently attached, meaning that if you don't use them you will have some added clutter.

Aug 18, 2019
anyone else got any advice? D:

CX550M is a fairly good unit, I've got a 650M myself and can vouch for at least a year's longevity with no issues (plus some good looking cables). The EVGA may be a better buy just based off of the power efficiency, the modular bit only really matters if you're looking for perfect aesthetic. Some of the cables with the CXM series come detached, and can be added/removed as needed. The EVGA will have all cables permanently attached, meaning that if you don't use them you will have some added clutter.
okay ty

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
i kinda have doubts with the corsair cuz of reviews that says it has ticking noise or noisy idk anyone?
Undoubtedly the EVGA GD over a CXM.
The Cx / CXM units are effectively the most budget friendly PSUs you can get that are still good quality, but there are better quality also for this reason.

The GD is a better unit. But the CXM is still good, just not the best.

So if modular is essential, get the modular unit, if you want better quality, get the EVGA GD

Aug 18, 2019
Okay ty

I just need to wait for one more person's advice

The Cx / CXM units are effectively the most budget friendly PSUs you can get that are still good quality, but there are better quality also for this reason.

So if modular is essential, get the modular unit, if you want better quality, get the EVGA GD

Aug 18, 2019

Isnt it kinda weird cx550m and evga 550gd have same price here xD maybe because I'm in Asia and they dont put tariff and so much shipping fee idk

Okay ty the psu tier list made me confused and it says m2II is tier 4 while the cm mwe gold is tier 2, any thoughts? And I think the M12II has old 30°c operating temperature which kinda doesn't fit in my tropical country idk

The M12II is rated at 40c, but it can handle 50c comfortably. It very conservatively rated.

Another way of saying "tier list" is "group-think". You are always better off doing your own analysis than trusting some list.

Last edited:
Anyway I'm currently choosing whether COOLER MASTER MWE 550WATTS GOLD (non modular version) or SEASONIC M12II 520WATTS EVO BRONZE (full modular) pls help

Idk which one is better and durable

!!!! EDIT !!!!

I think the M12II will be the most durable in the group. It's an older design, but it has great build quality and a 13 year history of reliability. If that is your criteria, I would go M12II. The Cooler Master MWE Gold is probably has the best regulation of the bunch, but they skimp a bit on component quality. CX550M has better voltage regulation than the M12II but weaker ripple suppression and lower build quality. I don't really have much info on the EVGA 550GD, but EVGA makes me a bit jittery these days. I try to avoid them.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well generally the M12II is probably comparable to CX quality nowadays. The MWE Gold doesn't come with OCP as the M12II does. But it's a decent enough unit. The GD is decent too, but Asian market only from my understanding, it's not the best value, but is decent enough again. Just not at the same level quality as the G1/G3 for example.

The MWE gold still has excellent stability on virtually all rails (3.3V is arguably to be improved) and cross load performance.

Both come with 5 year warranties.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Personly I use this unit myself, ive been using these for a couple of years and it leaves you hear room for future upgrades. I prefer Corsair Over seasonic.
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Bron...t+modular&qid=1566698283&s=electronics&sr=1-1
Brand makes no difference.
The specific model is the key.

The cx model you've linked is effectively the most budget friendly but still good quality PSU you can get, not the best, but budget friendly. It's effectively the last PSU that's still good quality enough to recommend :)

For example the Seasonic FOCUS Plus is significantly better than the Corsair CX, But not the RMx. :)

LOL! You guys are all over the place!

Do any of you actually know the PSUs you're talking about?

The Cooler Master MWE Gold is an LLC w/ DC to DC. The Seasonic M12II and the Corsair CX-M are not (both are double forward, with the Seasonic not even having DC to DC).

The CX non-M is "as good" except for that it's not as efficient.

The Seasonic Focus is the only suggestion made that's even comparable.

Aug 18, 2019
LOL! You guys are all over the place!

Do any of you actually know the PSUs you're talking about?

The Cooler Master MWE Gold is an LLC w/ DC to DC. The Seasonic M12II and the Corsair CX-M are not (both are double forward, with the Seasonic not even having DC to DC).

The CX non-M is "as good" except for that it's not as efficient.

The Seasonic Focus is the only suggestion made that's even comparable.
So that makes mwe gold best option here ? How about evga gd?