Help me please. BSOD is my GPU causing it?

daryl203

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I had this BSOD everytime I open a game.
I don't have this yesterday but It gotten worst.
At first I saw this black pixeled thing on my game
I ignored it. Thought it was somekind of a bugged in game.
Then I restarted my game. Then after that. BSOD!
So my PC RESTART, it now won't open to Desktop
It got stuck on Desktop then BSOD.

Then I run to safe Mode
Unstalled my GPU Driver
then restart go back to normal
Everything is fine. But when I installed my GPU DRIVER, BSOD again.
What's causing this? I don't have this recently.

My GPU is Sapphire R7 265x

Solution
Hi Guys! Sadly! It is a hardware problem. It is my GPU. The dude said in the shop the cause is "Blackout" I don't know what that means, but I'm so sure that I really.. Really push my GPU to the fullest.. I think the GPU RAM been damaged.. then so on and on.. Good thing it didn't explode. Why I'm so sure about this my GPU is the problem? Because after I received my new GPU, mount it. And go to my windows start up. The black flickering was gone, the pixel things coming from my game is gone. It is 100% working as normal.

Take note
I un-installed my GPU Driver before I went to warranty my GPU. Thing is everytime I un-installed my GPU my Hardware is auto installing the GPU Driver. So It means I didn't change my Catalyst I'm still using...

JamesHeller

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

I guess there is some problem with the hardware
maybe its the software thing you may have to reinstall your windows

nullifier

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
What is the BSOD bugcheck code (i.e., 0x.....)? Also, does it show a specific file in the lower portion of the screen as being the problem? If the BSOD flashes and just goes away, then you will need to disable automatic restart on failure: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm you can also do this (depending on OS) by hitting F8 during boot and selecting this option.

If it happens as soon as windows boots then that is when the driver is initialized for the first time. Does the BSOD even occur in safemode? If it doesn't then this particular driver may be conflicting with something on your system, you may want to try a different version of the driver for your card.

daryl203

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hi! Thanks for the reply. @nullifier, i think the code error is the 0x000000166 something like that..
@JamesHeller, yeah.. some people are experiencing this too. They thought it was the game is buggy.. But I think it has something to do with my sytem.

Take Note. I can play ArcheAge without my GPU, because of my AMD A10-5800k. But running at medium graphics.

Edited: code error is 0x00000116

daryl203

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
@Nullfier, I'm not experiencing BSOD while in safe mode. Even my GPU Driver is installed, I don't get a BSOD on Safemode. That's where I un-installed my GPU Driver in Safemode. If my GPU Driver is not installed and go to my Windows I don't experience BSOD because the driver is un-installed. I tried updating and regrading GPU Drivers, still got BSOD.

My full Specs is

AMD A10-5800k
Gigabyte F2A55M-DS2
8GB Hyper X Kingston
Thermaltake 500WATTS

Then my GPU Sapphire R7 265x 2GB

I don't OC

nullifier

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Daryl,

That bugcheck/BSOD code is unsurprisingly involved with recovering a failed graphics driver. The driver fails and cannot recover, thus throwing the BSOD. Would you happen to know what version of the AMD catalyst driver software you are using? Have you tried multiple versions of drivers (including older)? Also, it may be worth trying out one of AMD's beta drivers instead of the latest stable version to see if you notice a difference, that is if you haven't already.

I've had this same problem as well and I had to gut every piece of AMD software out of the system and reinstall it fresh.

JamesHeller

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

yep nullifier is right remove the drivers completely and if that doesn't help update the bios

JamesHeller

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014

if you meant the card
then probably you're wrong cause he isn't getting BSOD while in safe mode and after uninstalling the drivers
that separates the problem from the hardware thing

daryl203

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hi! Thanks for replying guys.

@Nullifier, I went to AMD Catalyst 14.9 I think that is the latest? And I went to AMD Catalyst 12.9? Not sure if it's the oldest. Still BSOD on the Start up window.

By the way, my GPU went to warranty.. I'm waiting for the new one to arrive this week. If this BSOD still exist, I'll continue giving updates here.

nullifier

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

It is not specifically a hardware stop error, a BSOD can be hardware, software, or a combination of the two. This bugcheck code is specific to the driver being unresponsive and unable to recover (software). The only way this is a hardware related item is if some portion of the VRAM is bad and corrupting the driver when it is trying to pass instructions and subsequently fails; which is a possibility (my NVIDIA cards were notorious for this). Safe mode testing definitely makes the difference.

I actually got this same error with my R9 270X yesterday. Had to roll back to the previous driver and boom no more problem. It also only occurred in a specific game that I believe was fighting with the previous driver (14.9) over DX11 commands.

Daryl, I rolled back to 14.8 and that resolved my issue at least. I would imagine moving back to a totally different version would also show improvement, but who knows. Let us know either way, I'm curious as well if it is indeed a hardware issue; which would be surprising to me based on your troubleshooting results. Good luck!

daryl203

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
@Nullifier, wow nice.. your using R9 270X we have a slight similarity related to this issue.. nice..nice.. yes.. yes.. I'll try using that 14.8 update later.. The replacement for my GPU now is available.. I'mma go grab it later.. I'll give you just an update.

daryl203

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hi Guys! Sadly! It is a hardware problem. It is my GPU. The dude said in the shop the cause is "Blackout" I don't know what that means, but I'm so sure that I really.. Really push my GPU to the fullest.. I think the GPU RAM been damaged.. then so on and on.. Good thing it didn't explode. Why I'm so sure about this my GPU is the problem? Because after I received my new GPU, mount it. And go to my windows start up. The black flickering was gone, the pixel things coming from my game is gone. It is 100% working as normal.

Take note
I un-installed my GPU Driver before I went to warranty my GPU. Thing is everytime I un-installed my GPU my Hardware is auto installing the GPU Driver. So It means I didn't change my Catalyst I'm still using 14.9. I didn't install anything by the time I received my new GPU. So my GPU overheated, then start dying. That's what happen. Thank you guys for the concern and sharing your thoughts and experience.

Solution

Automatiic

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
It most likely is not your GPU, but rather the drivers. This is the exact reason I have ordered 3 980s. I currently have two R9 290x's in crossfire and I have had random freezing in games since I purchased them last winter. About 2 months ago, I installed the newest drivers and fell into the same BSOD boot loop you're having. Even after uninstalling and reinstalling the last known driver that worked for me, the issue persisted. I had to roll back drivers to the original ones that came with my cards to get it to work. THe only way to get newer drivers was to format my PC and start from scratch. And even then, I was only able to use drivers from like April or May. AMD has impressive GPU horsepower under the hood but their drivers are absolutely terrible. Horsepower means nothing if the drivers cause instability issues. I'm going back to team green and will never look back.