Help me set up a wireless rear view camera for driving a truck with car trailer

surfer949

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Calling all the tech savvy people!
I need help with figuring out how to set up a rear view camera on a 22 foot rental moving truck that is towing a auto trailer. I have found this product Wireless Magnetic Trailer Hitch Rear View Camera but it sucks from reading the reviews.
I'd rather use a better wireless camera system like this one HD Digital Wireless Backup Camera but the camera requires a Power: DC12V-24V.
The idea is when I'm driving the rental truck and auto transport I can use the camera to see behind me when changing lanes or turning.

diagram of my idea

USAFRet

Titan
It would need power from somewhere. Those things don't run on air.

Or, you could do like people have done for decades, and use the very large mirrors that already exist on the truck.

Now that u mention it, I have at least moved once with those uhaul hitch trailers and don't remember to have to hook up rear brake light, should had been required to have a (powered) rear brake lights right. Phew, at least I survived. Anywhoo, ya cameras need power, how long is the trip?

surfer949

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Well it's a 1200 mile drive split into two 8 hours drives with pit stops along the way. I won't need the camera on the entire time but when I'm changing lanes or driving through a city would be nice to have.

You should look at much bigger power bank if you want to use this camera for more than an hour. 2800mAh is barely enough to recharge a smart phone once.

Ask the seller on Amazon what's the power rating for the camera before you go with battery bank.

Reactions: surfer949

USAFRet

Titan
Well it's a 1200 mile drive split into two 8 hours drives with pit stops along the way. I won't need the camera on the entire time but when I'm changing lanes or driving through a city would be nice to have.
If you're changing lanes with such little clearance that the view on a camera back there makes a difference...you're doing it wrong.

surfer949

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
You should look at much bigger power bank if you want to use this camera for more than an hour. 2800mAh is barely enough to recharge a smart phone once.

Ask the seller on Amazon what's the power rating for the camera before you go with battery bank.
Well I'm going to abandon this crazy idea. It would of been nice to have but I'll just rely on the old fashion mirrors and slow driving. Thx anyways!

USAFRet

Titan
And unless you've done this particular drive before and know the timing...600+600 can't be done in 8 hours each.

Figure at least 11-12 hours for each 600 mile segment.

I used to commute between Ohio and Virginia...almost exactly 600 miles each way. One person, regular car, with exactly one stop to stretch, pee, gas, and McDonalds.
10 hours, average 60mph.

In that truck and trailer, with pit stops, traffic, etc...figure a best effort average speed of 50mph..

Reactions: surfer949

surfer949

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
And unless you've done this particular drive before and know the timing...600+600 can't be done in 8 hours each.

Figure at least 11-12 hours for each 600 mile segment.

I used to commute between Ohio and Virginia...almost exactly 600 miles each way. One person, regular car, with exactly one stop to stretch, pee, gas, and McDonalds.
10 hours, average 60mph.

In that truck and trailer, with pit stops, traffic, etc...figure a best effort average speed of 50mph..
Correct. That is my estimate for driving a regular car. Going 55 in a moving truck towing a car will take longer.

surfer949

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
How would you do it? It's from Houston, TX to Orange County, CA. On my trip from CA to TX, it took 2 days and I stayed overnight in El Paso, TX. With a moving truck I may have to split it into 2 1/2 days?

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I would budget 2.5 - 3 days for this.
Driving a truck/trailer like that is both slower and more stressful than just you in your car. Stress = more stops to get your brain back in gear, and unclench your buttcheeks due to that idiot that just cut you off.

600 miles in 8 hours is averaging 75mph. Which means you're doing a lot at 85mph to get that average. Not doable or safe.