[SOLVED] Help me understand GPU 2.5 vs 2.7 slot size.

Sep 20, 2020
Hey guys and gals, I've been reading Tom's Hardware main page since year 2000 or probably even earlier - too long to be sure tbh.
It's now the first time I'm posting anything cuz it seems like I can't find an answer online.

I'll keep it short now.
I've built my pc inside a Cooler Master nr200.
I was planning on getting a rtx3080 founders edition but after the chaos of release day I've pretty much given up on the idea and started looking at cards from other brands.
After looking at initial reviews it seems to me like the Asus RUF RTX3080 gaming is a good choice.
However I have big doubt.
At Cooler Master's website, they say that for GPUs larger than 2.5 slots it's recommended to use 15mm slim fans. I have two 120x25mm fans on the bottom and I'd like to keep them.

This is where it gets confusing... On Asus's website they list the GPU as 2.7 slots! and the measures are 29.99 x 12.69 x 5.16 Centimeter.
However an Asus ROG GTX1080ti model that has been shown to fit in this case using 25mm fans on the bottom is listed as 2.5 slots and it measures 29.8 x 13.4 x5.25 Centimeter. How come the marginally slimmer card is 2.7 slots and the other 2.5?
Shouldn't the RTX also fit where the GTX does? What am I missing here?

https://pokde.net/assets/uploads/2020/07/Cooler-Master-NR200-black.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
That is basically just a marketing way to avoid saying "it's not a three slot card", but in reality it is blocking 3 slots....for some reason especially ASUS keeps stressing that their cards are just not 3 slots....
Sep 20, 2020
So I did some more digging and I came across this page.

“Then there's also 2.7 slot GPUs out there in the wilderness, which may be officially listed as 2.75 slots instead in the specs, but they're essentially the same thing as GPU slots aren't official measurements by the manufacturer and only an estimation (there is no specific, universal slot size/width/height).”

Only an estimation, no universal size?
So can it be that the rtx is listed as 2.7 because it overall takes more volume even if it isn’t wider/thicker than the gtx at 2.5?

Sep 20, 2020
I get it. Thanks man!! I've been out of custom-built PC's for so long that now I'm surprised by the number of things I'm unaware of.

So basically what I need to look at is the width/thickness of the card? And where the 5.25cm card fits, so will the other one, logically.

Sep 20, 2020
Most important is that is fits in your case (length mostly an issue for some cases) and that you have big enough power supply for your card.
Yep it fits, all dimensions check out. It was just the width/height with this 2.7 slots that was confusing me.
Thanks for clarifying it Bro