Question Help me upgrade a VERY crappy cpu (on IH61M motherboard)

Dec 1, 2021
I have a VERY old PC, it has an IH61M motherboard, 8 gigs of RAM, and i3 2120 CPU.

I cannot even browse on this PC, need to upgrade the CPU asap.

Budget - $100, what would you recommend?

https://evertek.com/Product/IH61M-PB-RC a list of compatible cpus

I don't know which one would fit the price the best.

geofelt

Titan
Good and cheap do not go together.
I want NO issues with my C drive.

I am a fan of the samsung ssd's.
They have an excellent ssd migration tool.
You can download the app and instructions here:

The new ssd needs to be able to hold the used portion of your HDD.
Here is an example of a samsung 500gb 870 evo for $65
$100 will buy you a 1tb Samsung 870 EVO or QVO

Dean0919

Reputable
Oct 25, 2017
You just need SSD and your computer will become faster. It will make more difference than CPU or RAM upgrade. Just get SSD. I would recommend you Samsung evo series or Crucial brand.

Lafong

Prominent
Dec 2, 2021
Any non-defective SSD will make about as much difference as anything you could do.

If really on a tight budget, look at Crucial BX series. If you can afford it. the MX 500 series is a better choice. Samsung fine too, but likely a bit more expensive.

Assuming your 8 GB of RAM is functional, it isn't likely that moving to 16 GB would help you on something as ordinary as browsing.

Your CPU is was introduced in 2011. I assume your motherboard is of similar age. I would not personally upgrade anything on a PC that old other than going to the SSD. It will help, but don't expect anything approaching a miracle. You may notice a difference in boot speed and when saving or manipulating files, but probably little difference when browsing. Save your money for a new PC and with any luck you can move your SSD into it when the time comes.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS