Question Help me with my cpu cooling please

Jan 15, 2024
Hello, i am using an ASUS PRIME H610M-A WIFI D4 mobo and i recently bought a liquid cooler for my cpu, i got the Deepcool GAMMAXX L240 A-RGB WH and i saw that it has a 3 pin pump connector, where should i plug it in? Can i control the speed of the pump?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Look in your manual. There should be either a pump header, or a CPU fan header that can be used for the pump. Make sure to read your AIO installation instructions as well, as some of these hook up different ways to provide power.

As to your pump you should not set it for a variable speed. It is recommended to set it at 80%+ and leave the pump speed. Set the AIO fans to ramp for temp load.

Reactions: geofelt
i saw that it has a 3 pin pump connector, where should i plug it in? Can i control the speed of the pump?
Connect it to CHA_FAN1.
Then go into BIOS and change fan regulation type to DC and set it to constant speed 75% or 100%.

Or you can use molex to fan adapter. Pump will run at max speed then.

molex-TO-4-PIN-FAN-2.jpg.webp

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is a "trick" to connecting this AIO system to your mobo that is not shown in your AIO manual.

First, a bit of background. With an AIO system there are two items that impact the rate of heat removal from the CPU chip: the speed of the PUMP that determines the flow rate of the liquid circulating out to the rad and back, and the speed of the rad FANS that determine how fast heat is removed from that liquid in the rad. If you try to have the mobo automatic system alter BOTH of those speeds in response to the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip they each react with different time delays and end up "chasing" each other and over-correcting. So virtually all AIO systems, INCLUDING YOURS, are designed to have the PUMP run at a constant speed (full speed always) and have only the RAD FAN speeds change to regulate CPU cooling.

Your mobo has only ONE header for CPU cooling, the CPU_FAN header. Its two other fan headers are CHA_FAN headers for use with case ventilation fans, and guided by a different temp sensor on the mobo. So we need a way to connect BOTH the PUMP unit and the RAD FANS of your AIO system to that CPU_FAN header. That will be a Splitter (see below).

The CPU_FAN header's normal automatic cooling control supplies power to the CPU cooler device and varies its speed according to a temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. An important second function of any CPU_FAN header is to monitor the speed signal of that device fed back to it for NO speed signal, which would indicate total failure of the cooler. If that ever happens is will take quick action to put up a screen warning of failure and then shut down your system entirely without even waiting to the CPU temp sensor to report high temps. This is to prevent possible drastic damage to your valuable CPU chip from overheating.

That speed monitoring system can deal with the speed signal sent to it from only ONE device, so when you use a Splitter to connect more than one device to a header, the Splitter will send back to the host the speed of only one unit and ignore the others - you will never "see" the speeds of those other units.

Last point is a quirk of fan wiring we will use for this. There are two dominant types of fans on the market, The older 3-pin fans can have their speed controlled ONLY by changing the VOLTAGE sent to it from the header. The newer design of 4-pin fans work differently. They receive from the header a constant 12 VDC power supply, plus a new PWM signal from Pin #4. This fan type has a small chip inside that uses this PWM signal to control the flow of current from that fixed 12 VDC supply line through the motor windings to change its speed. The mechanical and electrical design of the wires and connectors of these two fan types are VERY similar so that you CAN plug either type of fan into either type of mobo header. The headers now in use are all 4-pin designs BUT in BIOS Setup for the configuration of the header, you can set it to behave either as an older 3-pin header or as a newer 4-pin header. IF you set it to 4-pin PWM Mode and then plug in an older 3-pin fan, that fan will always run at full speed because its power supply is fixed at 12 VDC and it cannot use the PWM speed control signal.

As you have noticed, the PUMP unit you have has a 3-pin fan connector on its cable of three wires. It is wired exactly like an older 3-pin Voltage Control Mode fan. So if we plug that into a header set to use the newer PWM mode for 4-pin fans, that pump will always run full speed, and that is eaxctly what we want for the AIO PUMP.

Now you need to get a SPLITTER, one type of device that allows you to connect more than pone unit to a mobo header. A Splitter is simple. It merely connects all its fans in parallel to the header output pins so they do the same thing, and all power for the fans comes from that header. It has one input "arm" with a female connector to plug into the mobo host header, and two or more male output "arms" (with pins) where you plug in fans or whatever. It has no other type of connection. a HUB is a different device, but many sellers mis-label thes items and mix up the names, so watch out! A HUB has those same two types of connectionons PLUS a third "arm" that must plug into a 4-pin Molex or a SATA power output connector directly from the PSU. That connection provides power to all the devices plugged into the Hub. You do NOT need a Hub. Look for a Splitter like this

https://www.amazon.com/ThreeBulls-Splitter-Computer-Extension-Converter/dp/B07MXNT6V4/ref=sr_1_9?crid=1GVE8Q1VKAT59&keywords=fan+splitter+4+pin&qid=1705340609&sprefix=fan+splitter,aps,102&sr=8-9

Plug the female end of this into your mobo CPU_FAN header. NOTE the three output connectors. Only ONE of them has all four pins in it, and that is the only output that will send back to your CPU_FAN header the speed signal. You MUST plug into that output the 3-pin cable from your PUMP. For the AIO system, the important item to monitor for possible FAILURE is the PUMP. No fluid circulation means NO cooling of the CPU. If one or even both of the RAD FANS were to fail and that not be detected, other monitoring systems based on the actual temperature inside the CPU chip would detect a slower temp rise and trigger a protective shut-down with no CPU damage. BUT since the RAD FAN speeds cannot be monitored automatically for you, YOU should simply look from time to time to be sure both of them are still working.

Now, plug those two RAD FANS' cables into the two Splitter output arms with missing Pin #3. If you do not yet have the BIOS Manual for that mobo get it here.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/13MANUAL/PRIME_PROART_TUF_GAMING_Intel_600_Series_BIOS_EM_WEB_EN.pdf?model=PRIME H610M-A WIFI D4

When you get it all set up boot directly into BIOS Setup - see manual p. 5. As soon as your system power is on, hold down the "Del" key until the screen shows you the Setup start-up menu (p. 6). On the EZ Mode menu screen click on the QFan Control graph at bottom centre to get to the QFan Control Screens (p. 11 - 12). Choose the CPU_FAN header at upper left. Now at upper right use the drop-down selector window to choose PWM Mode, not Voltage or Automatic. Then at bottom centre choose the Standard Mode for automatic control of CPU temperature using the default settings. Now use the Esc button back to Main Menu, then F10 to reach the Exit Menu (p. 86). There choose Save Changes and Reset to save your settings and reboot.

This process will connect both the pump and the rad fans of your AIO system to the CPU_FAN header. That header will act as a normal PWM Mode header for 4-pin fans and control the rad fan speeds for CPU cooling. Meanwhile the PUMP also is plugged in there and, being of the 3-pin design, will always run full speed as intended. PLUS the header will monitor the speed signal returned from the PUMP for possible failure.

You can use the two CHA_FAN headers on your mobo for case ventilatin fans.

Last edited: