Help me with power supplies!

JustThatGuyDan

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
Right, so, I am confused with the wattage and stuff (which i know i shouldn't be) but i just need conformation before i buy more components. I have an 800w PSU at the moment, does that mean that the wattage of all the components has to be below 800 OR the highest wattage of a component can be 800W so the number just applies to each component individually? Please help!

Solution

You alright mate, when a power supply is 800W it mean's that the total amount of power it can give out is 800W. So you'd want to make sure that all your components either equal to 800W or are below 800W. If they're higher your power supply wont be able to provide the power. And I wouldn't recommend getting parts that equal to or are very close to 800W as it's...

Andrew Buck

Honorable

That means that all components have to use under 800 W at full load.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

You alright mate, when a power supply is 800W it mean's that the total amount of power it can give out is 800W. So you'd want to make sure that all your components either equal to 800W or are below 800W. If they're higher your power supply wont be able to provide the power. And I wouldn't recommend getting parts that equal to or are very close to 800W as it's putting stress on the PSU and that will just reduce the life span of it.

Hope that helps :)

Solution

JustThatGuyDan

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

Cheers, that helps