Question Help me with RAM compatibility

Mar 26, 2019
So I have this ram currently installed in my system. It is 2 sticks of Adata ddr4 2400(17) Model# is: AD4U2400J4G17-B

It is on an msi B250M Bazooka running an I5 7400.

I want to add in another 8 gigs to bring me to 16.

Can I install this TEAM RGB ram in the other channel without issues?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...17&cm_re=ddr4_2400_(17-_-20-331-031-_-Product

I don't know enough about it to know if that will be fine, or if there would be some sort of problem.

Thanks for any help.

Mar 26, 2019
Do the numbers on the two Rams look compatible, though? I mean, barring some sort of wierd compatibility thing, SHOULD they work together based on the speeds and stuff? I am not familiar with the CAS numbers and timings and stuff. Do they all need to be identical for them to theoretically work fine together, or do all of those things have to match perfectly beyond just the DDR4 2400 part? Some info I find gives one answer and others say as long as they are both DDR4 they should work together. The info out there is super conflicting.

Mar 26, 2019
I find it hard to swallow that there isn't some sort of definitive way to upgrade your RAM without just guessing at it or wasting two perfectly good sticks of RAM.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. It's unfortunate that someone would expect memory that has never been tested together before would expect it to perform flawlessly when combined.

Fact is, such combinations often cause the memory to no longer be able to operate at rated specifications after such combinations are made. This causes the PC not to boot sometimes or the memory only working at slower speeds with relaxed timings.

Mar 26, 2019
For the record, My friend, who makes $130,000 per year as a server admin and has been building computers since there has been computers, says
that you guys are full of it. According to him it is pretty rare that memory doesn't work together so long as it is the same type and speed and the timings are "close enough", and that even if they didn't end up working together nicely out of the box you can normally fix the issue in the bios.

He has 3 different brands in his own personal rig.

rgd1101

Don't
We didn't said it not 100% not going to work. just warning you what might happened.
Is your money, you can do whatever you want with it

I'm surprise that you didn't ask your admin friend if the ram is compatible ?

fyi, you motherboard B250 don't allow oc, so no "fix the issue in the bios"

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019
I asked this forum. And you guys just gave the "safe" answer, instead of just telling it like it is. That is the reason there is no solid info out here on the web. Everyone just gives the scared answer, and thus, many many people undoubtedly waste perfectly good memory and perfectly good money discarding their perfectly good existing sticks when upgrading their memory. Tragic.

Mar 26, 2019
I'm just saying that the answer would be better phrased like "Probably so, there is the rare occasion that two sticks simply won't jive, but in the vast majority of cases as long as the memory is the same type and speed, and is compatible with your motherboard, it will work just fine". That is much better than "Maybe, Maybe not. It's better to just buy an all new matched set." (And waste the $100 worth of ram already in your mobo).

Not only do I prefer to buy my RAM in matched sets, but I prefer that it had already been tested in my MB by the MB manufacturer (QVL list) or by the RAM manufacturer. I'm not an expert though, I just like to avoid problems when I can. You can always buy a matched set and sell your old RAM to recover some of the cost. If there is a 10% chance of it not working from the get-go, I'd rather not bother with it. Others feel that 90% chance is good enough to take a chance. Then again, I always get a bunch of RAM when I build so that I never have to add any down the road.

Mar 26, 2019
For people who find this in the future:

I just upgraded my RAM with Crucial memory, to 16gb. I now have two different brands running together(ADATA and Crucial) with no issue. I did NOT need to waste money buying a "Matching Set". Chances are, neither do you.

I did find one with the same CAS Latency, to be safe.

What I learned from this experience...
Most of the answers found online when looking up info about whether or not it is fine to do this say you shouldn't. These answers are mostly incorrect.
If you want to upgrade your RAM without throwing perfectly good sticks out the window, just go for it.

1. Make sure it is the same type and speed, ie: if your Ram is DDR4 3000, buy DDR4 3000.

2. If your Ram has a CAS Latency of 16 (or whatever the number is), which could be denoted as "cas", or "cl" or even "c", buy RAM that matches that number.

3. "Dimm" is just another way they mark RAM as "U-Dimm". Make sure this matches as well. If your Ram says "Dimm" or "U-Dimm", these are the same thing. If it says something else, you need to match that.

4. Make sure the RAM is compatible with your Motherboard/Processor. You can do this with PC parts Picker, or on the Crucial site.

My sources indicate that if you do these things, The RAM will, in the vast majority of cases, work just fine together. There will be very small numbers of random cases where RAM simply will not work together, but the chance of this happening is very small, provided you make sure the sticks match.

All of these people out there discouraging you from using two different brands or adding to your existing RAM in general, are full of it. Do NOT waste your perfectly good Ram, or waste your money buying a matched set, unless you just really feel the need to do that. There are a lot of people being overly careful out there, or people who are just pc snobs in general. Just make sure all of the numbers match up, and go for it.

Last edited: