[SOLVED] Help me with this second hard drive installation please

Apr 20, 2020
Hi there,

I have a pc with a HDD of 1 tb with windows 10 installed, I would like to add a second hard drive HDD with 500gb space from my old PC but my second hard drive already has windows 7 installed in it and some important data.

I don't want to lose my data in the second hard drive. Is there a way I can install my second hard drive to my PC without losing its data.

Solution
Connect your 500GB drive to a free sata port with sata data cable and to PSU with sata power cable.
Make sure boot order in BIOS is correct.
Boot into windows 10.
That's it.
Apr 20, 2020
Hi there,

I have a pc with a HDD of 1 tb with windows 10 installed, I would like to add a second hard drive HDD with 500gb space from my old PC but my second hard drive already has windows 7 installed in it and some important data.

I don't want to lose my data in the second hard drive. Is there a way I can install my second hard drive to my PC without losing its data.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Connect your 500GB drive to a free sata port with sata data cable and to PSU with sata power cable.
Make sure boot order in BIOS is correct.
Boot into windows 10.
That's it.

once the old drive is up and running you can go to disk management and delete the system partitions from the win 7 installation. the small ones with the boot info and "recovery" info at the front of the drive. you can also delete the windows folder since your not using that os anymore.

do keep in mind though, that the programs on that old drive WILL NOT run on win 10. we see it asked a lot here if they can move the drive and use the programs as is. it does not work and won't work so if that's the "data" you want to save, then your out of luck.

Reactions: straight edge kumar
Apr 20, 2020
once the old drive is up and running you can go to disk management and delete the system partitions from the win 7 installation. the small ones with the boot info and "recovery" info at the front of the drive. you can also delete the windows folder since your not using that os anymore.

do keep in mind though, that the programs on that old drive WILL NOT run on win 10. we see it asked a lot here if they can move the drive and use the programs as is. it does not work and won't work so if that's the "data" you want to save, then your out of luck.
The data contains some photos and videos ....... Would I be able to access them ?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah no problem there. do yourself a favor though and move them out of the library folders (my docs, music, photeos etc..). make a new folder, put everything in it you want to save and then it's easy to delete everything else once the drive is installed. this also prevents some of the permission errors trying to access those library folders when it is not booted up.

Reactions: straight edge kumar
Apr 20, 2020
yah no problem there. do yourself a favor though and move them out of the library folders (my docs, music, photeos etc..). make a new folder, put everything in it you want to save and then it's easy to delete everything else once the drive is installed. this also prevents some of the permission errors trying to access those library folders when it is not booted up.
Do I have to make any changes in the SMPS for using two hardisks at the same time?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
nope. nothing special. i have 5 drives in my system and once windows was running, all i did was hook up power to the others. data was all just sitting there waiting for me to need it.

clearing out the old un-needed stuff takes longer than getting the drive working.