Question Help! Memory management - Blue screen of death - ntoskrnl.exe - Gaming laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
Hi all i got a predator helios 300 PH315-51
i need a solution for my blue screen of death if someone got an idea i already installed all the lastest bios and softwares. uninstalled antiviruses. i did the memtestx86 and did the windows memory testing on windows10 and it found no problem and my pc is pretty new so im not sure if its the ram anyway.

my computer is only 1 years old but like 3months in it started doing the blue screens and i didnt claim warranty big fail.

i also did sfc scan ad chkdsk everythign went ok

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Fri 2019-12-06 16:19:16 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\120619-11921-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C14E0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x61948, 0x1000200, 0x1, 0x1000200)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 2019-12-06 16:19:16 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x6BF42)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x61948, 0x1000200, 0x1, 0x1000200)
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 2019-12-05 19:50:58 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\120519-10343-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x13F321)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8076693F321, 0xFFFFC08A5D1699C8, 0xFFFF82803C8DF930)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Mon 2019-10-14 14:59:30 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\101419-10218-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C1220)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFF908003470CD0, 0x0, 0x1)
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred. A page table page has been corrupted.

On Thu 2019-09-26 16:49:01 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092619-11218-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C10A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41792, 0xFFFFD5003A73CC98, 0x1004100000, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred. A corrupted PTE has been detected.

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
Between a heatwave on weekend and a Bushfire potentially attacking my city, I have been otherwise occupied in the last few days and away from my PC. I would have answered if I could.

If you updated drivers, are you still crashing? If not, wait and see if it was fix.

yeah i did get some new bluescreens after all that i updatd and unstalled the prblems its still happenign its a pain in the azz

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
ok so I used driver verifier then my pc kinda broke down it went in a boot loop saying dpc watchdog violation

then i couldnt do restore pc I had to boot in safe mode and disable driver verifier

it didnt save any dump files and now im scared to use driver verifier I thought my pc was done

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you set PC up to collect minidumps again?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
have you set PC up to collect minidumps again?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

yeah my pc is set to create an automatic memory dump I just had another bsod maybe when I was afk idk i came back and the pc was restarted... still no dump files

I just setted it on memory dump (256kb), im going to post the next dump files

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
ok so I used driver verifier then my pc kinda broke down it went in a boot loop saying dpc watchdog violation

then i couldnt do restore pc I had to boot in safe mode and disable driver verifier

it didnt save any dump files and now im scared to use driver verifier I thought my pc was done

That is main reason I don't suggest it to everyone right away, it has a tendency to break windows. I feel that they should be able to create a test inside windows that doesn't result in broken windows. Blames Microsoft.

If the problem is hardware, windows won't be creating any dumps. I would suggest cleaning dust out... if you can? it could be overheating.

Are these your specs?
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H.
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5)
  • Display: 15.6”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS.
  • Storage: 256GB SSD + 1000GB HDD.
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4.
Just wondering if its the ssd. All of the errors are memory, Windows sees storage as ram as its where the page file is. If its ssd, it would explain the lack of dumps.
Try running something like HDTune or HD Sentinel on the drives, and run any tests you can. If you find out who makes the actual drives, there may be more specific tests.

when you ran memtest, did you remove any ram sticks? I assume some is soldered in? how many runs of memtest?

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
That is main reason I don't suggest it to everyone right away, it has a tendency to break windows. I feel that they should be able to create a test inside windows that doesn't result in broken windows. Blames Microsoft.

If the problem is hardware, windows won't be creating any dumps. I would suggest cleaning dust out... if you can? it could be overheating.

Are these your specs?
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H.
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5)
  • Display: 15.6”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS.
  • Storage: 256GB SSD + 1000GB HDD.
  • RAM: 8GB DDR4.
Just wondering if its the ssd. All of the errors are memory, Windows sees storage as ram as its where the page file is. If its ssd, it would explain the lack of dumps.
Try running something like HDTune or HD Sentinel on the drives, and run any tests you can. If you find out who makes the actual drives, there may be more specific tests.

when you ran memtest, did you remove any ram sticks? I assume some is soldered in? how many runs of memtest?

hi again sorry i didnt see that reply as i was waiting on my next bsod, ok right these are my specs but i got 16 gb ram and 2tb hdd. I finally got another bsod today it was under memory management, so it took almost 1 month before i got it here is the dump, tell me more about it. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjrBAQJVJgQT8zxP0v8Cnvhv2Ym5?e=3HekcJ
im gonna run Hdtune while waiting on your reply

also the memtest i did the one with windows and the one with the usb stick and they all showed 0 problems i ran them many times. no i didnt remove any ramsticks im sure the problem cant be the ram the laptop is 1 year old

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://audacioussecond.htmlpasta.com/

File information:030520-8812-01.dmp (Mar 5 2020 - 23:13:13)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: RuneLite.exe)
Uptime:4 Day(s), 13 Hour(s), 47 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The error occurred in virtual memory. Virtual memory is RAM + page file...

A corrupt PTE has been detected.
In operating systems that use virtual memory, every process is given the impression that it is working with large, contiguous sections of memory. Physically, the memory of each process may be dispersed across different areas of physical memory, or may have been moved (paged out) to another storage, typically to a hard disk drive.

When a process requests access to data in its memory, it is the responsibility of the operating system to map the virtual address provided by the process to the physical address of the actual memory where that data is stored. The page table is where the operating system stores its mappings of virtual addresses to physical addresses, with each mapping also known as a page table entry (PTE).[1][2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_table#PTE

Now this happened during a game so its possible it was writing to page file. Do you have ssd + 2tb drive? or just a 2tb drive? I would run the tests I suggested on the drives and see. If its in an obscure part of the drive that is only used when PC needs to write memory from ram, it could be why it takes a month to happen.

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
The error occurred in virtual memory. Virtual memory is RAM + page file...

A corrupt PTE has been detected.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_table#PTE

Now this happened during a game so its possible it was writing to page file. Do you have ssd + 2tb drive? or just a 2tb drive? I would run the tests I suggested on the drives and see. If its in an obscure part of the drive that is only used when PC needs to write memory from ram, it could be why it takes a month to happen.

iv ran hd tune pro so far no problems in their tests i have 256 gb SSD + 2 tb HDD

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://audacioussecond.htmlpasta.com/

File information:030520-8812-01.dmp (Mar 5 2020 - 23:13:13)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: RuneLite.exe)
Uptime:4 Day(s), 13 Hour(s), 47 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

RuneLite is my game that i play everyday all day for years and years to come i cant uninstall it

Colif

Win 11 Master
okay, just checking we haven't missed something obvious as there is a theme, many seem to happen in virtual memory and involve walking page tables... and Driver verifer has run once before and found no drivers as cause, although later it found the USB one... which doesn't make sense as if that driver was bad, it should have found it first time.

drivers just don't go bad, which is why i start looking at hardware as corruption can come from storage, CPU & power... ram & storage are most likely causes. You having a laptop makes power difficult to test... could check CPU with https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

razer drivers can cause BSOD

supremekaiqc

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
okay, just checking we haven't missed something obvious as there is a theme, many seem to happen in virtual memory and involve walking page tables... and Driver verifer has run once before and found no drivers as cause, although later it found the USB one... which doesn't make sense as if that driver was bad, it should have found it first time.

drivers just don't go bad, which is why i start looking at hardware as corruption can come from storage, CPU & power... ram & storage are most likely causes. You having a laptop makes power difficult to test... could check CPU with https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

razer drivers can cause BSOD

i just purchased this razer mouse not even a month ago its new so i dont think it caused the bsod