Question Help! Monitors randomly lose connection from my PC, and the CPU and DRAM lights on my MOBO are constantly flashing.

AnthonyM79

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
Yesterday while I was using my PC my monitors randomly lost connection from my PC but my PC would still be on and running so I thought it wouldn't be a problem so I just restarted my computer.

When I turned my computer back on the monitors worked fine until I logged into my PC. After about 15 seconds the same thing would happen again and the monitors would disconnect.

I restarted my computer again and it said that there was a problem with windows on my computer so I tried to load into a safe version of my PC from a couple days ago, but no luck.

I ended up having to wipe my computer and re download windows. After I did this I was able to log into my computer for a little longer but the same issue was still happening where my monitors would turn off.

I looked up if anyone else was having this same issue and someone said that if I reset the CMOS that it should fix it. After resetting the CMOS I am now able to log onto my computer and the monitors will stay on until I tried to run or install something then the monitors would turn off again.

While my monitors were not working and my PC was still on I noticed that the DRAM and CPU indicator lights on my motherboard were flashing back and forth.

I tried to run my computer with only 1 stick of ram in instead of 2 but I had the same issues. Please help me I have no other ideas on how to fix my computer.

[Moderator note: Edited post to break up "wall of text".]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the computer?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Especially PSU.

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual? heck the manual for the meaning of the flashing DRAM and CPU indicator lights.

Has the case every been opened for cleaning and maintenance?

Could be just loose components and cables.

However, the overall symptoms to me suggest failing PSU.

More information needed.

AnthonyM79

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
How old is the computer?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Especially PSU.

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual? heck the manual for the meaning of the flashing DRAM and CPU indicator lights.

Has the case every been opened for cleaning and maintenance?

Could be just loose components and cables.

However, the overall symptoms to me suggest failing PSU.

More information needed.

Hey thanks for replying,
Specs
MOBO - GA-AX370-GAMING K7
CPU - Ryzen 7 1700
GPU - MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 8GB
PSU - EVGA SUPERNOVA 650 G2 80 Plus Gold
RAM - 16 GB GSkil Trident Z RGB

I built the computer about 3 years ago and everything has worked fine up until now. I have opened my case to clean it multiple times but I've never had any issues because of it. In the user's manual it just says that when the lights are flashing on the mobo it means the corresponding device is not working normally.

Ralston18

Titan
You reset CMOS - have you tried a new CMOS battery? Just to eliminate the battery as a possibility.

======

My thought is that the PSU may be degrading in some manner or even nearing EOL.

Especially if the PSU has been heavily used consistently supporting hard gaming.

Could be heat related - some threshold temperature is reached and some component starts faltering.

AnthonyM79

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
Where would I find a new CMOS battery, can I use any one that fits or is it specific?

I don't think it is heat related because my computer is on for only a couple minutes until they turn off again.

Is there any way I could specifically test my PSU to see if it's the problem?

AnthonyM79

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
You reset CMOS - have you tried a new CMOS battery? Just to eliminate the battery as a possibility.

======

My thought is that the PSU may be degrading in some manner or even nearing EOL.

Especially if the PSU has been heavily used consistently supporting hard gaming.

Could be heat related - some threshold temperature is reached and some component starts faltering.

So I tried a new CMOS battery and that didn't fix anything.

Also while I was at it I used my brothers PSU to see if that would fix anything because he has no issues with his computer and with the new PSU in I was still having the same issues so now I have no idea what is causing the problem anymore.

Ralston18

Titan
Reference: " user's manual it just says that when the lights are flashing on the mobo it means the corresponding device is not working normally."

You will need to swap in known working devices.

Start by pulling the GPU and testing the motherboard's built-in video ports. One port/monitor at a time using known working video cables
Likewise try swapping in other known working RAM modules. Minimal configuration per the user Guide and then increase RAM one stick at a time. Pay careful attention to the order and placement of the RAM modules.

CPU is much more involved so any swapping there is, to me, "last resort".

You could pull the CPU and apply new thermal paste as the first try. Then another known working CPU as a second try.

If it can be determined that known working components continue to cause video (monitor) problems and the Motherboard's lights continue to flash then the motherboard may have failed.

AnthonyM79

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
Reference: " user's manual it just says that when the lights are flashing on the mobo it means the corresponding device is not working normally."

You will need to swap in known working devices.

Start by pulling the GPU and testing the motherboard's built-in video ports. One port/monitor at a time using known working video cables
Likewise try swapping in other known working RAM modules. Minimal configuration per the user Guide and then increase RAM one stick at a time. Pay careful attention to the order and placement of the RAM modules.

CPU is much more involved so any swapping there is, to me, "last resort".

You could pull the CPU and apply new thermal paste as the first try. Then another known working CPU as a second try.

If it can be determined that known working components continue to cause video (monitor) problems and the Motherboard's lights continue to flash then the motherboard may have failed.

So yesterday I tried each stick of ram one at a time in each slot and that didn't fix anything.

But what was surprising to me was that when I loaded into safe mode of windows 10. When in safe mode my computer ran normally and I never had the issue of the monitors turning off.

I thought that after resetting my PC and it still not working ruled out windows being the issue.

The only problem I have now is that Startup Repair apparently can't fix the issues and I can't uninstall the latest feature update for some reason.

System Restore also won't work because I have no restore points to go back to.

Ralston18

Titan
Being able to boot into Safe Mode is a good step forward.

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters.

Check Update History regarding the latest updates.

Look for any updates regarding graphics/video. Especially any that failed.

In Safe Mode go into Command mode and run

"sfc /scannow" (without quotes")

May find and fix some corrupted Windows file(s) especially if there was a failed update.

Determine if that ends the problem.

Next would be to reinstall the GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website.

And use only one monitor at a time. If each individual monitor remains connected then try them together again using duplicate mode and then expanded mode.

AnthonyM79

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019

May find and fix some corrupted Windows file(s) especially if there was a failed update.

And use only one monitor at a time. If each individual monitor remains connected then try them together again using duplicate mode and then expanded mode.

So I tried the sfc /scannow thing yesterday and it found corrupted files that it was unable to fix. I wanted to run the scan on a working computer as well so I ran it on my brothers PC and he got the same corrupted files located but his computer was working fine.

But I will also try the other things you mentioned as well

AnthonyM79

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019

So yesterday I tried what you recommended to do and none of them have resulted in success.

Today I was doing more troubleshooting and I have now encountered the issue while in safe mode.

Ralston18

Titan
All I can think of, for the moment, is to swap a monitor with your brother.

Determine if the problem follows the monitor or stays with your computer.

Next, go through everything that has been tried to date.

Very carefully, step by step.

The objective being to eliminate possible causes by proving that some component does indeed work.

May well end up being a failed motherboard.

It is your call on how to proceed henceforth and how long you wish to pursue a fix.

And hopefully, someone else may chime in and offer other ideas.

I certainly do not have any problems with that.

Reactions: AnthonyM79

AnthonyM79

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
All I can think of, for the moment, is to swap a monitor with your brother.

Determine if the problem follows the monitor or stays with your computer.

Next, go through everything that has been tried to date.

Very carefully, step by step.

The objective being to eliminate possible causes by proving that some component does indeed work.

May well end up being a failed motherboard.

It is your call on how to proceed henceforth and how long you wish to pursue a fix.

And hopefully, someone else may chime in and offer other ideas.

I certainly do not have any problems with that.

Thank you so much for responding so fast over the past week and thanks for your help. I will continue to troubleshoot I guess, until I find something that works and I'll let you know if anything works or if I need anymore help.