[SOLVED] Help! Motherboard stuck to the case!

Gamer8000

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hello everyone,

I have a serious motherboard problem, it stuck on my case and I cannot get it off. The case doesn't come with any motherboard screws, it just come with motherboard standoffs. I try to match the motherboard screws as much as possible.

It look like this. It have razor teeth.

41duCaOtdIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

However, it a really tight fit. It even making squeezing noise when I turn it. Some seam to screw down flat to the motherboard and stay secure, but some couldn't. I try to take it out but couldn't, the standoff move along with the screws. Think 2 of the standoff even crack. Now I just leave it in the case since I can't take it out anymore. Does anyone know if all screws and standoff need to be on the motherboard? The motherboard is not loose like it moving, but I can wiggle the far edge up and down a little since the screw won't screw flush to the motherboard.

I try so many screw and stand off now and it driving my crazy. Is there anywhere I can buy screw and standoffs that bundle together, so I know it fit perfectly together? I can buy the motherboard standoff but not the motherboard screws.

Solution

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Well, first of all, what motherboard size do you have? ATX, micro ATX, mini ATX?

You can try using a long nose slim plier to hold the standoff while unscrewing.

You need to test the screw compatibility first by screwing it before installation, so that you can make sure that they fit together.

As for the bundle, yes, they're available. I can get it at a local computer store in my country. You too should be able to do so.

Gamer8000

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
It is an ATX Motherboard. I try one of the cutter plyer to hold the bottom screw and it broke off the screw, now what? I try the plier too and it doesn't seam to work very well either, the back where the motherboard standoff feet is a little too short to grip.

I can only seam to find motherboard standoff only not the screw at frys electronic. I will try to look again. This really suck I don't want to broke my motherboard taking it off.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
That's kinda strange, since I never had that kind of experience. What's your case model?

How many screw that's prohibiting you from taking off the motherboard? If possible, disassemble the case as much as possible to give you more room to manipulate the screws and standoffs.

A close-up photo would be very helpful. You NEVER want to force a screw; it should easily finger tighten. If you striped the standoffs then you need to be extremely careful unscrewing it; if you the screw is 'locked' into the standoff AND the standoff is screwed into the MOBO then -> continue to counter-clockwise unscrew from the TOP down {uniformly} UNTIL ALL of the standoffs are unscrewed from the MOBO. Then remove the MOBO with standoffs and ALL. Hold the standoffs with a pliers then unscrew.

The MOBO and/or Case 'should have' had the screws needed. "If" you have a Radio Shack they'll have {both} the problem is to find the correct height standoff.

Yeah Hay - fun!

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
I think the issue is the screw gap and size. If they're not compatible, at midway tightening it will be hard to tighten. Knowing this, the OP most likely force it in, making the standoff stuck to the case. I've had this issue before, but I never forced the screw in, I replace it with the smooth ones... :p

Anyway, let's wait for the OP's response.

@Gekko: Had your coffee yet? :lol:

I agree, but as I said "-> continue to counter-clockwise unscrew from the TOP down {uniformly} UNTIL ALL of the standoffs are unscrewed from the MOBO. "

A/K/A unscrew the whole thing standoff & screw --- think about it...

Gamer8000

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
Hi guys,

sorry but can't take picture just yet. I lost the battery pack for my Camera. Will try to post some when I find it.

Basically I'm using the yellow brass motherboard that come with the case, it the Cooler Master Scout Case.

images

Using this screws. It the best I could find.

screw1

Later I find out the motherboard standoff that come with the case is a bit too small for the screws. It stuck on the case, some not completely flush and there is one standoff that broke in half, and there a middle standoff on the motherboard that crack. :fou: All the motherboard standoffs now stuck onto the case hole, when turning it, it move the whole standoff.

What I have done so far.

- Try to screw it counter clockwise and clockwise, it alway move the standoff and go back to the same position. Have done it numerous time until I just gave up.

- Next I try using a cutter plyer and cut off the feet, thinking I could get it off. It was a very stupid move not only now it stuck on the case, but no where to grab the feet. So this one is seriously hard to get out now.

I can probably grab the leg from the other standoff with a plyer and unscrew it, but I'm scared I break off the feet again due to it so skinny and only little of the feet is showing on the opposite side of the motherboard. The one with the feet cut off now stuck on for good. I done a few custom build pc before and this is the first time I encounter this problem, mainly because I rush and didn't use the correct screws. Would greatly appreciated if some people have similar problem or know a good solution to getting the screw off without breaking the motherboard. Man I just have the worst luck ever! :pfff:

Yes, keep turning Counter-Clockwise - the "GOAL" is to unscrew it from the case - I "GET" that the screw head is "Stuck" which is why I suggested unscrewing the screw + standoff with the MOBO STILL stuck in between.

Once the MOBO is "safely" removed -> then CAREFULLY use pliers {on both sides if necessary} and unscrew the head + standoff. At this point you'll have leverage to remove.

Example: {Side view}

[screw_head] | MOBO | [standoff] | case -> unscrew

screwdriver/pliers -> [screw_head] | MOBO | [standoff] <- pliers

YES it is counter-clockwise to unscrew! Righty-Tighty & Lefty-Loosey

Solution

ghZZ

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Not sure if I have the same problem or not, but I have a solution on how to take out the screw attaching the motherboard to the standoff if the threads are worn out. Just twist the screw counter-clockwise as you lift gently with a set of pliers.

TRENDING THREADS