Help moving from 32-bit windows 7 Home to 64-bit Windows 7 Pro

camdeazy

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Hello. I need some help/guidance too see if this can be done. I am upgrading my system from a 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium to a new system that will be running Windows 7 64-bit Professional. I have all necessary COA's and everything. I haven't installed the 64 bit OS yet, but will be performing a clean install when all the new components arrive. The 32 bit system is already assembled and running smoothly.

My question is this: how can I transfer my programs, music, movies and everything else from the 32-bit to the 64-bit OS? Is it possible? For programs such as games, that require their own CD keys, will this be problematic?
I have any and all free tools available, such as Windows Easy Transfer, as well as a cloning app, Acronis True Image, and Western Digital backup software.

*Note* I will be changing most of the hardware as well, such as the motherboard, and am going from an Intel core 2 duo to an AMD 6 or 8 core processor.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I hope there is some way to do this!

Solution
You need to do a clean install, no way about it.

Use windows easy transfer to export your files and settings.
After the 64 bit install, you can import them back.

Your programs and apps will need to be reinstalled since the registry has been rebuilt.
There will be a transfer report that lists the apps that need to be reinstalled.
You need to do a clean install, no way about it.

Use windows easy transfer to export your files and settings.
After the 64 bit install, you can import them back.

Your programs and apps will need to be reinstalled since the registry has been rebuilt.
There will be a transfer report that lists the apps that need to be reinstalled.

Solution

camdeazy

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Well okay thanks! Real quick, that report I would get, that's using WET? And also, by reusing the key for the game or program, will there be a conflict since I already had used it the first time? I guess what I'm asking is it a one use only key? Or how does that work? Thank you both for the help!

WET will generate a migration report as part of the process. I can't recall the name of the file.

Unless you really need something that pro gives you, you can upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without needing to buy a new license.
Your original key will still work when you reactivate. Even of the original was oem so long as you reuse the motherboard.

If you don't have a windows 7 dvd, you can download one, they are all the same, differing only on what capabilities are unlocked via the activation code. Or, you can borr0w a 64 bit dvd for the install.