Question Help moving Windows Image to new SSD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Show screenshot after doing all this:

Anyway - if still no success, then
1. Have only new cloned drive connected (disconnect all other drives)
2. Boot from windows installation media and
3. Perform operations described in post #36.

And show screenshot with command output.
There can not be any errors. If there were, then you did something wrong.
Last message has to be "Boot files successfully created".

Reactions: Muckster

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I appreciate your help, I really do. You're the only one who not only stuck with me but didn't spend 90% of your time explaining why what I wanted to do couldn't be done, but I've done what you said. I've done it at least 3 times on the last "new" SSD and twice on this current SSD all with the message of success right after the bcdboot command.

Oh, and I haven't tweaked ANY bios setting on that pc in at least 8 years.

We tried. I even bought a new SSD! It doesn't make any sense, but you know what they say about the definition of insanity....

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Just want to say thanks to everyone for your input and help. I've thrown in the towel and will instead just fresh install windows on the new SSD (as many suggested).

Thank you!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Just want to say thanks to everyone for your input and help. I've thrown in the towel and will instead just fresh install windows on the new SSD (as many suggested).

Thank you!

I know it's not your preference, but the frustrations of the last few days is what we were hoping to spare you!

I would take this opportunity to organize things to make future installs easier on yourself, since this is something that sometimes needs to be done. I keep a directory on my backup server (and on a thumb drive) an archive of install files, drivers, and software licenses for all the software I use and when I wipe and install an OS on one of my PCs, after Windows is installed, I just jump to that folder and knock all the installs quickly. It's not necessary that everything be the absolute latest driver; it's easy to update when I use something. If you're using a lot of popular apps, something like Ninite can also save time.

Just like good backups result in a dead drive being just a very minor annoyance, planning things can make OS installs relatively quick and painless.