Question Help! My ASUS laptop extremely laggy!

Jun 3, 2019
My laptop (ASUS TP500L) has a specification of i7-5500U processor, GeForce 940m graphics card and 4GB ram . The first time I had this laptop it was working 100% fine. Over time things happened and now it became super laggy. I used to have a solid 40-60fps playing minecraft on high settings and now I only get 0-5fps on low settings. This happens on other games as well as softwares such as browsers, microsoft products, literally the laptop has downgraded! This happened before as well (water splash) but I changed the OS and it goes back to normal after a week or so. This time it's been like this for months even after multiple resets/ changing os. I think this started again not due to water but a lot of forced shutdowns. My speakers also crackles when the sound is too loud. I would really appreciate it if you guys help me thanks!

things I tried:
  • changing os
  • factory reset
  • updating drivers
  • installing antivirus

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What version of Windows is installed?

Before "trying more things" use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to view what applications are running on the Asus laptop and what resources are being used and to what extent.

Look for some bottleneck due to hardware, software, or configuration.

What disk drive is installed: capacity and how full is the drive?

And check both Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings. There may well be some informational events that will provide some insight as to the source or reason for the lagginess.

How is the laptop connected to the network/internet: wired or wireless? Do other network computers or devices experience lagging?

Reactions: datcate911
Jun 3, 2019
What version of Windows is installed?

Before "trying more things" use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to view what applications are running on the Asus laptop and what resources are being used and to what extent.

Look for some bottleneck due to hardware, software, or configuration.

What disk drive is installed: capacity and how full is the drive?

And check both Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings. There may well be some informational events that will provide some insight as to the source or reason for the lagginess.

How is the laptop connected to the network/internet: wired or wireless? Do other network computers or devices experience lagging?
Ah, I didn't realize the details I was missing sorry 😔. My laptop is currently running on Windows 8.1 and connected wirelessly to the internet. Other devices/computers of the same network are working normally. I have two disk drives which one of them contains the windows installation (125GB free of 186GB) and the other is completely unused (263GB). I've checked my reliability monitor and it did give me some errors which are mostly "windows was not properly shut down". Usage of resources are low, 20% max freq, 1% highest active time, 0% network utilization and 47% used physical memory. May you direct me on how to detect a bottleneck and what I do with the series of error events from the reliability monitor/ event viewer? I appreciate your reply thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Simply run Task Manager or Resource Monitor.

Arrange your screen to leave the window open and to one side.

Work, game, etc. as you normally do while watching what your computer is doing.

Remember, you are not online to "win" per se. You are online and focusing on find out why the lagging is happening.

Keep an eye on network related parameters.

And (full disclosure), I am somewhat skeptical with regards to Windows 8.1.

Not everyone can move or otherwise go to Windows 10 but as overall support declines for non-Windows 10 OS installations the problem may be simply be unresolvable.

But I am curious about those improper shutdowns: are you able to provide more information?