Question HELP! My ASUS laptop won't boot!

littel_cate

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
Laptop: ASUS TP500L (i7 5500u, GT940M, 4GB RAM)

So today I did a replacement for my CPU and GPU's old thermal paste. I used Grizzly Kryonaut thermal grease and 70% alcohol along with some cloth to rub the old thermal paste out. Then I spread the paste generously on both components, no I didn't touch the GPU neither the CPU directly with my fingers which eliminates the reason for killing my CPU by static charge. All went well and I put everything back on except that I forgot to plug in my laptop's battery ribbon wire. I realized this because I pressed the power button multiple times. So I took out the back cover of my laptop once again to connect the ribbon wire and pressed the power button. The indicator light turned on but the display didn't. I started worrying and so I plugged in my AC adapter which then shows the charging light indicator. The screen still didn't show anything. For some reason when I hold the power button the charging light would turn off and the light indicator will light up and when I stopped holding the power button the reverse happens (Charging off light indicator off). I removed the AC adapter from my laptop and for some reason it still shows that my laptop is charging. I kinda knew how to fix this because I watched some videos of it. Basically I removed the ribbon wire of my battery once again and held the power button for 30+ seconds. Plugged the adapter back in and it showed that it's charging, turned on my laptop (without the battery) just for it to die after a while. So I connected the battery back in along with the adapter and my laptop finally booted. The windows 10 lockscreen showed up but as soon as I was going to type in my password I got a blue screen that said VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR. It shows some percentage before it tried to "restart". Unfortunately it didn't restart and now the laptop won't turn on AT ALL. No charging or indicator light, absolutely nothing. I found a video saying that I should remove the battery and wait tomorrow before plugging it back in. So I wrote this while waiting for "tomorrow" in case it will not work. This kind of happened to me back then because my laptop was water damaged years ago and I did the waiting thing and it worked. Please I need all the help I can get :(

You don't want to put a "generous" amount of thermal paste on the components, a thin layer is the correct amount. Since this all happened after you took apart the laptop there is not much anyone can suggest to check over the internet without having the system to look at. You could have damaged something while working on it.

Reactions: littel_cate

littel_cate

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017

• You don't want to put a "generous" amount of thermal paste on the components, a thin layer is the correct amount. Since this all happened after you took apart the laptop there is not much anyone can suggest to check over the internet without having the system to look at. You could have damaged something while working on it.
    Thanks for the reply but the waiting worked! My laptop is now up and running again. Though there's a new problem lol!