[SOLVED] Help my monitor display is blue.

LowSpecMyDude

Commendable
Nov 16, 2020
my monitor is having a blue tint thingy i've already tried connecting it to desktop and laptop and the result is still the same. i couldnt know the real color of the 3d models i'm working on its just a real struggle.

Solution
yes, check both monitor and VGA card ports: make sure there are no pins missing (they've been know to "just pull out". and get a chart - some pins are supposed to be missing). make sure your plugging it in all the way seated.

CRT have "color drive", if you loose RG all you have left is blue. There's an outside chance you have a loose power transistor on the backboard of the neck and can re-solder it, or that you can adjust the RG to increase them (say, maybe you move around the adjustments and they start working). There's at least 1/2 a chance the RG are blown. Anyway: 10,000 volts. Don't do it unless you grew up keeping yourself alive without others helping you to stay alive (ie, the 1980's v. the 2000's). It will end your...

Jubby

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
Try another VGA cable, make sure the settings of the monitor are set to default if it has any. Failing that, your decade old VGA only panel, VGA port or internal board could be faulty.

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
yes, check both monitor and VGA card ports: make sure there are no pins missing (they've been know to "just pull out". and get a chart - some pins are supposed to be missing). make sure your plugging it in all the way seated.

CRT have "color drive", if you loose RG all you have left is blue. There's an outside chance you have a loose power transistor on the backboard of the neck and can re-solder it, or that you can adjust the RG to increase them (say, maybe you move around the adjustments and they start working). There's at least 1/2 a chance the RG are blown. Anyway: 10,000 volts. Don't do it unless you grew up keeping yourself alive without others helping you to stay alive (ie, the 1980's v. the 2000's). It will end your life early if you don't know what your doing. And you would likely not even feel it has done so, you'd just die younger.

be totally serious or don't attempt it. it's way more time and money, in today's dollars, than it's worth to "begin learning to do" for an old monitor, believe me.

Solution

Commendable
Jan 27, 2021
even if you fixed the "color drive" circuit ... the capacitors in the power supply are old (electrolytic, have little life). and the flyback: very dangerous, china won't let you order one (every one is custom practically), and every time you turn on or change video mode your flyback is that much more likely to fail (the flyback is the heart of the CRT and it is NOT like a resistor that runs for 50 years - it has a limited life).