HELP my PC freezes then restarts!!

kitty143

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
My brother helped me build my PC and he basically taught me everything I need to know about how to build, upgrade, etc. So I've decided to finally upgrade after about a year or so to a Ryzen build.

My previous build was an FX-8350, GTX 970, and 16GB RAM. Going to Ryzen I had to purchase a new motherboard, RAM, and of course the processor. The rest of my build was carried over from my previous one(graphics card, PSU, etc). Here is my new build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (NEW)
MB: ASRock AB350M (NEW)
RAM: Hyper-X 16GB DDR4 2400 (NEW)
GPU: GTX 970 Reference
PSU: EVGA 750W

The rest are the peripherals and the case of course but that shouldn't really matter. I kept my drives intact and didn't really do anything with them: 1 system SSD with Windows, another SSD for games and a larger HDD for storage. I didn't reinstall Windows(bad idea, I guess?) and when I replaced the MB, CPU, and RAM it booted like normal and I kept all my files, settings, etc.

I played a game with my brother for about an hour then the game froze. I was playing GTA V with mods and freezes happen all the time so I was pretty used to it. I tried to ALT + TAB out of the game but it didn't do anything. I tried to get into task manager but it didn't do anything either. My PC locked up and completely froze. It never happened before, AT ALL.

So I held down the power button and turned off the PC. Turned it back on. Booted to the OS, got about 15-20 minutes of YouTube before it locked up again. Grr. I restarted the PC and this time it froze at the login screen and the display shut off. My monitor went to sleep as if it didn't receive any signal from the graphics card but my computer was still on, fans and everything(I had a bunch of pretty purple LED strips and those were on too lol).

I thought maybe it was an issue with the OS or drivers being messed up so I went ahead and performed a clean install of Windows. I booted up an installation media (USB drive) and IT FROZE AGAIN. Right at the license agreement screen. At this point I was ready to pull my hair out.

I'm able to use my PC, but only for about 5 minutes before it would lock up and I'd have to restart again.

I did some research and tried to troubleshoot myself, I spoke to my brother and he suggested an RMA to get a replacement but that would mean a week or more without my PC *sadface*(I would have to wait for my motherboard to arrive there and wait some more for the replacement to arrive here).

Here's what I've done, all with the same results:
- Cleared CMOS
- Tried to boot with just one RAM, switched RAM around
- Tried different peripherals
- Updated BIOS
- Reinstalled Windows and updates (finally got it to install, at least. Then froze again.)

These were suggested to me, but as of this post I haven't done them yet:
- Try a different PSU/GPU (gotta puppyface my brother to let me use his lol. I doubt it's anything to do with them, they were working flawlessly in my previous build)
- Some DISM disk image thingy via CMD
- Take everything apart and reinstall again one by one (Yeah, no not doing that again LOL)

I've already started an RMA but I'm gonna wait an extra day or two before doing that to try to see if I can get this resolved without sending it back and waiting a while before I can use my PC again. So I'm coming to this forum seeking help from this super duper awesome community! :)

One thing you may try manually to set the memory timing in the BIOS, because we know the ryzen is very picky for the RAM.
The timing something like 14, 14, 14, 30, if your RAM is the cl15. Keep in mind it may or may not work. Also you are better to ask your brother for help.

kitty143

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018

Do you mean frequency? Also, my brother's advice is just to RMA lol.