[SOLVED] Help! My work computer keeps blowing Power Supplies!

stretched_steel

Reputable
Jul 6, 2016
Help! My work computer keeps blowing Power Supplies!

I have been having PSU issues for some time, I have been through about 5 PSU's in the past year

4 of them were Corsair 650W 80+ gold
the newest one which lasted for a week was a Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W Power Supply, 80+ Gold.

I have had all of them connected through a UPS then a surge protector, I have used multiple cases, I have upgraded my Motherboard, Ram, and CPU a week ago.
the only things that have not changed is a 2tb WD HDD, 250gb Samsung SSD, 1tb Samsung SSD, and a Lexar 500gb NVMe & 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (Gigabyte)

There are several other computers in the building that are on the same electrical circuit and none of them have had any problems.
There is only one outlet in my office and the computer and monitor is the only thing plugged into it.

the case was blown out with an air compressor before putting in the new parts, there is ample cooling in the tower as well.

Right now I am using a backup PSU, some generic POS that I have had for about a decade, with that plugged in it boots every time without an issue.

If I spend another $150 from our savings on a PSU, just for it to blow out in a week, my wife will be up on murder charges.

does anyone have any idea's?

--------------------------------------------------------------

PC Specs

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Base: 3.60GHz, Boost: 4.20GHz / 35MB Cache / AM4 / 6 Core / 65 Watt / Wraith Stealth Cooler / Matisse, RZ3KCPU
RAM
Klevv BOLT X Gaming 16GB (1x16GB), PC4-28800 (3600MHz) DDR4, 18-22-22-42, 1.35v, XMP 2.0, Black
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming MB, B450, 4x DDR4, 3x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 2x M.2, 6x SATA3, 8x USB3.1, DisplayPort, HDMI, ATX, Aura RBG
Graphics
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (Gigabyte)
ForceWare version: 445.75
Monitors
LT2252p Wide (1680x1050@60Hz)
LT2252p Wide (1050x1680@60Hz)
LT2252p Wide (1050x1680@60Hz)
JVC 40" LCD TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
Sound
7.1 high definition surround sound
Storage
Lexar NM610 M.2 500GB NVMe SSD
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
2TB Western Digital WDC HDD
Power Supply
Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W Power Supply, 80+ Gold, Fully Modular, 1x EPS, 4x PCIE6+2, 8x SATA, 6x Molex, 1x Floppy, 120mm Silencio Fan, Flat and Flexible Cables
Case
Aerocool Xpredator-II ATX Windowed Full Tower Case - Black

Solution
Firstly, if they have all blown in such a short space of time, surely you can get them replaced under manufacturers guarantee?

Secondly, looks like you've changed everything in the machine (aside from the drives).... is it possible that the UPS is the culprit? If you have one of the blown 80+ gold units, try taking the cover off (make sure the unit has been fully powered down for a few days to make sure everything is discharged) and look for visible damage inside (you could post some photos here if you are unsure what to look for). It should be possible to tell if the failure was on the mains or DC side of the supply which might help identify if the issue is internal or external to the machine.
Firstly, if they have all blown in such a short space of time, surely you can get them replaced under manufacturers guarantee?

Secondly, looks like you've changed everything in the machine (aside from the drives).... is it possible that the UPS is the culprit? If you have one of the blown 80+ gold units, try taking the cover off (make sure the unit has been fully powered down for a few days to make sure everything is discharged) and look for visible damage inside (you could post some photos here if you are unsure what to look for). It should be possible to tell if the failure was on the mains or DC side of the supply which might help identify if the issue is internal or external to the machine.

Solution

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
What about electicity? Is it stable in the office? Is it only your PC or maybe other electronic devices also blew up? We need to find out if problem comes from outside (electricity, outlet, UPS) or from the inside (PC components).