[SOLVED] Help! Need Advice on how to approach my ISP on High-Ping problem!

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I play this online game World of Tanks frequently on the Hong Kong Server and for the last 1 week or so I'm getting a high ping in-game. I did a tracert as it was suggested to me once before by the Wargaming Help Team and found that my traffic is being diverted from India to Singapore, Japan, USA and then South Korea to reach the Hong Kong Server! I can write to Wargaming Support with the Tracert but I highly doubt (from past experience) that it would be helpful at all!
I am not pretty knowledgeable in these sort of things, so I ask you if I can ask my ISP to reroute my traffic and specifically in what point should I stress upon while asking them.... I am asking it here as, sadly, our people here have a lackluster attitude towards this sort of problems :( I do not want to give them a chance to confuse me with technical jargon and bypass the problem. In other cases, like downloading, streaming things, my connection works as well as advertised so I'm in a dilemma whether I should change my ISP or not. Please, if possible, let me know on what line I should ask my ISP to solve this problem, it it is possible at their end at all!

View: https://imgur.com/xQDevAd

This is an image of the Tracert report that I got, hope it helps!

Solution
Unfortunately once the traffic is out of your network little can be done.

There may be some possible fixes if the problem can be proven to be within your ISP but barring a real physical connection problem or obvious configuration issue a fix is unlikely.

Especially if the service "being delivered" is within what is "advertised".

With the delays starting well beyond your ISP (Hydrabad?) at Hop 7 I would not be optimistic.

Maybe try logging out, wait a few minutes, and log in again.

Maybe get a short, less delayed path to WOT server.

Ralston18

Titan
Unfortunately once the traffic is out of your network little can be done.

There may be some possible fixes if the problem can be proven to be within your ISP but barring a real physical connection problem or obvious configuration issue a fix is unlikely.

Especially if the service "being delivered" is within what is "advertised".

With the delays starting well beyond your ISP (Hydrabad?) at Hop 7 I would not be optimistic.

Maybe try logging out, wait a few minutes, and log in again.

Maybe get a short, less delayed path to WOT server.

Reactions: JitD
Solution

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
I feared so....what you said. Thanks for confirming. I will then just have to wait and see if the situation gets better as previously the route wasn't so convoluted. May be it will sort itself out in the coming days. Thanks!

Maybe you get lucky because the vast majority of the trace is in the same ISP tata which from what I can tell purchased your ISP a few years back.

Still unless they made some mistake or some circuit is down they BGP rules that are core to how the internet actually functions are carfully designed by the engineers. There are all kinds of reason certain paths are taken. In many cases the ISP do not have access to direct fiber paths.....or more they are not will to pay for them.

Are you sure the server is not in korea. Just because they designate a server for certain users does not really mean the server is located there. 250ms is not real bad between koria and india. Even the most direct path goes via the undersea fiber around the coast. Partially this is to avoid disruptions so no country can cut the fiber due to some political stuff.

The only solution really is to get a different ISP which for most people is not a option. You could try a vpn service maybe they have connectivity via different ISP. Some of the so called "gamer" vpn services buy connections from ISP that have more direct paths between some of the common game server hosting locations.

Reactions: JitD

JitD

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
The Game Server should be in Hong Kong, as far as I know. Previously it was in Singapore. I'm not a pro in this cases, but as far as I know they have two Servers, one in Aus-Nz area and another in Hong Kong. I might be wrong obviously.
This Undersea cable can be the problem here. Around two years back, if I recall it correctly, there was an official post about about undersea cable damage in the Game forum.
Anyway, I might try with a VPN and if I do so will update here.
Thanks!