Help! Need correct 3.5" bracket/adapter for use within iMacs + Temp sensor issue.

Sep 7, 2018
Hi everyone,

This issue has been driving me nuts. It's a two part issue.

I've been performing SSD upgrades for iMac's for about 4 years. Not plastic iMacs, mainly one's with magnetic glass on them and some later 2013+ models with adhesive.

There are two matters that i've never been able to properly work out:

1. I've probably gone through over 5 different 3.5" to 2.5" adapters/brackets. I've had these issues:
- Actual measurements of the bracket were not equal to a traditional 3.5" hard drive, specifically in length. Since 3.5" inch traditional HDs have 3 screw holes along the side, the brackets sometimes only had two, meaning that it wouldn't fit into certain desktops because they needed the furthest two screw holes on either end. I hope this makes sense. Sometimes also the width of the bracket is a mm wider than a 3.5" HD so it doesn't fit where a 3.5" HD would (in some instances).

- Most frustratingly of all, sometimes the measurements are closer to a standard 3.5" drive but the screw holes on the bracket itself are not the standard fitting in a 3.5" HD! I've even had to get the drill out to adjust the screw holes. This is a big problem when you have to use the fittings or enclosures within a PC or iMac... the screws/fittings won't work with the metal enclosures/brackets within the machine!!

- Today was the last straw... I finally found this (link) product. It was good though not an exact replica of the dimensions of a 3;5" HD, the screw holes were the same and it could fit into an iMac this was a definite win...however... it was too thick (too tall) because it was designed for 2 SSD's, I literally could not get the LCD screen back onto the iMac!

RANT ALERT: Why why why! would you design a product to simulate a 3.5" HD and not give it the correct dimensions and screw holes?! not just calling out Akasa on this one but all the other brackets I've tried! GRRR!

2. Second issue I've had is with the thermal sensor. When I've put an SSD in the (ODD?) fan will sometimes go on full and I end up controlling the fan speed with software to stop it giving someone a headache with all the noise.

Sought after solution:
Please... can someone give me a tried and tested SSD bracket that completely replicates a traditional 3.5" HD with all the screw holes (along the side and bottom!) and has the perfect/exact dimensions. If you only know one that will work with most iMacs, I'll take it.

As an added bonus, if anyone can supply a solution to the temperature sensor issue, at a hardware level, that would be appreciated.

If any of this didn't make sense, please feel free to ask for clarity.

I live in the UK, so it's important that the item can be sourced from eBay or Amazon UK. Open to other vendors.

Thanks a million for your time.

Sep 7, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from santeyahgo : "Correct 2.5" SSD bracket/adapter for iMacs with 3.5" spin drives."

Hi everyone,

This issue has been driving me nuts. It's a two part issue.

I've been performing SSD upgrades for iMac's for about 4 years. Not plastic iMacs, mainly one's with magnetic glass on them and some later 2013+ models with adhesive.

There are two matters that i've never been able to properly work out:

1. I've probably gone through over 5 different 3.5" to 2.5" adapters/brackets. I've had these issues:
- Actual measurements of the bracket were not equal to a traditional 3.5" hard drive, specifically in length. Since 3.5" inch traditional HDs have 3 screw holes along the side, the brackets sometimes only had two, meaning that it wouldn't fit into certain desktops because they needed the furthest two screw holes on either end. I hope this makes sense. Sometimes also the width of the bracket is a mm wider than a 3.5" HD so it doesn't fit where a 3.5" HD would (in some instances).

- Most frustratingly of all, sometimes the measurements are closer to a standard 3.5" drive but the screw holes on the bracket itself are not the standard fitting in a 3.5" HD! I've even had to get the drill out to adjust the screw holes. This is a big problem when you have to use the fittings or enclosures within a PC or iMac... the screws/fittings won't work with the metal enclosures/brackets within the machine!!

- Today was the last straw... I finally found this (link) product. It was good though not an exact replica of the dimensions of a 3;5" HD, the screw holes were the same and it could fit into an iMac this was a definite win...however... it was too thick (too tall) because it was designed for 2 SSD's, I literally could not get the screen back onto the iMac!

RANT ALERT: Why why why! would you design a product to simulate a 3.5" HD and not give it the correct dimensions and screw holes?! not just calling out Akasa on this one but all the other brackets I've tried! GRRR!

2. Second issue I've had is with the thermal sensor. When I've put an SSD in the (ODD?) fan will sometimes go on full and I end up controlling the fan speed with software to stop it giving someone a headache with all the noise.

Sought after solution:
Please... can someone give me a tried and tested SSD bracket that completely replicates a traditional 3.5" HD with all the screw holes (along the side and bottom!) and has the perfect/exact dimensions. If you only know one that will work with most iMacs, I'll take it.

As an added bonus, if anyone can supply a solution to the temperature sensor issue, at a hardware level, that would be appreciated.

If any of this didn't make sense, please feel free to ask for clarity.

I live in the UK, so it's important that the item can be sourced from eBay or Amazon UK. Open to other vendors.

Thanks a million for your time.