Help needed in updating Processor

jayesh00

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
HI Experts,

I have old system, which i intend to upgrade.

I have following Components:-
1. Intel D945GCL Mother Board
2. Kingston 2 GB DDR2 RAM X 2 = Total 4 GB
3. Intel Pentium D 805 2.66 Ghz Processor

I recently upgraded my RAM from 2 to 4 GB (that's the highest motherboard can support)
I want to upgrade Processor and Add a Graphic Card too.

My Concern are :

1. What is (sSpec SL9K7 only) Means?
Description : I searched for Supported Processors on Intel Website for Intel D945GCL Desktop
Board (https://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/support/articles/000006054/boards-and-
kits/desktop-boards.html)
And it lists Pentium D 960 3.60 Ghz but says (sSpec SL9K7 only); what does it mean?
Will it run on my Motherboard without damaging it? (since it's listed)

2. How to know Version of PCI Express X16?
Description : My Mother board Brochure says it Supports 4GB/ Sec per direction and upto 8
GB/sec Concurrent on Pg. No. 24
(https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop -
boards/945/D945GCL/D945GCL_TechProdSpec.pdf)
[I think it's PCI Express 2.0 but not sure]

3. Will Graphic Card which is made for PCI Express Version 3.0 or higher will run on my
Motherboard? (Provided no Damage is done)

Kindly reply ASAP

Thank You

1. That's just a spec number. The reason you need that version of the CPU is because your board only accepts 95 watt CPU's. It will not damage your board. If there is some incompatibility it may not run but nothing will be damaged.

2. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/desktop-boards/945/D945GCL/D945GCL_TechProdSpec.pdf This pdf says it's revision 1.0a.

3. It will run but be careful not to get a very powerful card as it will be wasted on that machine. The CPU can't keep up and PCI-E Version 1.0a is rather slow.

jayesh00

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015

Oh thanks for reply.....
I thought it's 2.0 on the base of speed mentioned and crosschecked with wiki....
can 1.0 really provide that much of transfer rate?

Secondly which Graphic card you suggest for Browsing purpose, playing Blu ray movies etc.

Third PDF says on page 15 topic 1.3 "Intel Pentium D processor in an LGA 775 Socket with 800 or 533 Mhz system bus" as supported.

So does it mean Pentium D 960 will also work?

Just picking up on one detail.

You're planning to use the PC to play Blu Ray discs, correct? What sort of monitor do you have? I found out the hard way that you have to connect to a monitor with a digital input for playback to be allowed. Turns out there is DRM which prevents playing Blu Rays on an analogue monitor (VGA input). So just be a bit wary of this little thing.

jayesh00

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015

thanks!!
One last query, how to know maximum watt supported by motherboard for processor?
like you said my board supports 95 watt, so how to know that...

Thanks

jayesh00

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015

I have LG IPS Cinema LED Monitor.....
i will attach HDMI through graphic card for that