[SOLVED] Help needed with troubleshooting problem after installing new RAM

May 22, 2023
Firstly, I would like to quickly go over my issue and then I'll say what I've tried already.

Specs:
- MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi
-AMD Ryzen 5800X
-RTX 3080Fe
- Cooler Master 850W 80+ Gold Rated MWE PSU
- 500GB Sabrent NVME SSD
- Noctua DH15

I have used my PC for two years now and I decided to double my RAM (Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz C18) from 2x8 to 4x8. As they were in the way I had to unplug the two 8pin power connectors of my 3080 and unclamp the front facing can of my CPU cooler, then put the two new sticks in the A1 and B1 slot (with the CMOS removed), plugged the 8pins back in, started my PC and pressed F2 to boot with default settings. That was about at 6pm and I would continue to use my PC as usual (play games, watch streams and have multiple applications/tabs open) until about 1am when I went to sleep and shut down my PC as always. The next morning I started my PC and immediately before I reached even the login screen it blackscreens, I get no DisplayPort signal and it restarts. Sometimes after crashing it will prepare automatic repair but most of the time it crashes again and then restarts without repair mode. I've never gotten an error message. Ever since then I keep having the same problem and I've gotten a max. CPU uptime of ~1 hour.

Now to the things I've tried to fix this issue:
First thing I did was remove my new sticks and go back to the old setup but no change. I then checked all connections, booted in safe mode, restored an old Windows version, reset my PC (with my files kept and surprisingly it didn't crash while resetting), followed the XMP/overclocking guide in this thread (tried single RAM sticks in A2/B2 at default settings, then tried them all with a manually set higher voltage of max 1.4V), updated BIOS, I've tried enabling an XMP. I have tried using Memtest86 but after the progress bar reached 100% I didn't get the image with the result.

What is so weird to me about this issue, is how the RAM and everything else seemed to work fine and then the next morning it's completely different. I would believe that if me putting in new RAM was the cause of this problem I would've seen the effects immediately and not the day after?
I'm really confused atm and I would appreciate any help :)

check all power connections on both sides, motherboard and PSU (unplug and replug)

unplug the gpu, replug it
unplug the SSD and reinsert it

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

how hot is your CPU getting?

reset the BIOS by jumper

check windows integrity
open the command prompt as administrator and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

clean boot

check the hard drive for errors with its manufacturer´s tool

BIOS of the motherboard is now version 7C37v1L ?

Reactions: bitconnect
May 22, 2023
check all power connections on both sides, motherboard and PSU (unplug and replug)

unplug the gpu, replug it
unplug the SSD and reinsert it

check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

how hot is your CPU getting?

reset the BIOS by jumper

check windows integrity
open the command prompt as administrator and type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

clean boot

check the hard drive for errors with its manufacturer´s tool

BIOS of the motherboard is now version 7C37v1L ?
Okay so first off I want to thank you for your time, secondly I unfortunately have to report that the issue still persists.
I only ran Memtest86 for one stick, got 100% pass, yet the PC still crashed with that one stick seated after opening Firefox.
All of the other things I followed except for removing the SSD and resetting BIOS via jumper (but I did via removing the battery) as I do not have the tools required right now to do that. The Sabrent Control Panel however displays disk health as 100% and I did a speed test which showed speeds as advertised without any errors.
The BIOS version is correct (E7C37AMS.1L0 ; 04/27/2023), my CPU temps averaged 46°C during Memtest86 and maxed out at 72°C, the integrity check did find some corrupt files but even after repairing them and performing a clean boot I crashed after ~18 minutes.

Again thank you for your time, now I don't really know what to try next. I'm considering a complete fresh install after creating a backup. Other than that I don't really know what to try else.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023
Have you tried a stick of RAM in each individual RAM slot, leaving the others empty?
Yes just tried it again and longest time I got while having 2 browser tabs open was 18min with one of the new sticks in A1. One thing I always observed was at least one instant crash (before reaching password screen) after switching RAM and only on the second boot did I get more uptime, usually around 5 minutes. Other than that I couldn't observe any clear pattern.

May 22, 2023
No, unfortunately not, but I believe in the overclocking/XMP guide that is pinned in the memory category it was mentioned that overclocking your CPU can fix issues with DRAM voltage. Is that worth a try?

May 22, 2023
UPDATE:

)((it is not fixed))(

tldr for those who just want the solution: I migrated to Windows11 and the problem magically disappeared, no idea what exactly was the problem as I checked my Windows files and reset my PC but oh well

In an unbelievable turn of events this saga has come to its conclusion it appears.
Today I finally decided to test all four of my RAM sticks via Memtest86 and after a nerveracking 6 hours I got my results and . . . 100% pass!
Now, what does that mean for me? Well, I was down in the ditch, clueless as to what the problem could be, ready to give up, but not yet, one last thing I wanted to try . . .

WINDOWS 11 THE BRINGER OF LIGHT!
After not crashing for 40mins, the install was finally ready and for now 1h 30min my PC has been alive and well even with a YT video running, truly an awe inspiring moment. I thank each and everyone of you guys that helped me.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023
UPDATE:

tldr for those who just want the solution: I migrated to Windows11 and the problem magically disappeared, no idea what exactly was the problem as I checked my Windows files and reset my PC but oh well

In an unbelievable turn of events this saga has come to its conclusion it appears.
Today I finally decided to test all four of my RAM sticks via Memtest86 and after a nerveracking 6 hours I got my results and . . . 100% pass!
Now, what does that mean for me? Well, I was down in the ditch, clueless as to what the problem could be, ready to give up, but not yet, one last thing I wanted to try . . .

WINDOWS 11 THE BRINGER OF LIGHT!
After not crashing for 40mins, the install was finally ready and for now 1h 30min my PC has been alive and well even with a YT video running, truly an awe inspiring moment. I thank each and everyone of you guys that helped me.
JUST NOW IN:

I'm frankly speechless. I'd just celebrated the wonder-like recovery my PC went through and then, not even 5 minutes after, the same problem as on Windows 10: A sudden blackscreen, restart into Recovery Mode saying Windows did not start correctly.
I'm at a loss for words, as it seemed as if everything was resolved. I had my browser open for a full 1h 40min and then out of nowhere it happens again.
Does it mean anything that it ran so well after upgrading to Windows11? I'm certain now that it's not the RAM, it definitely seems like either a heat problem or a bad connection. Heat I doubt as during the 6h Memtest my CPU went to 75°C max and was averaging 55°C, my graphics card I also never see above 60°C. On the other hand, I also unplugged every single connection and then back in so I don't really know what to do. u/bdcrlsn mentioned that perhaps my CPU has a defunct RAM controller, is that probable? Like does that just randomly happen when you add more RAM and load default settings? I never removed my CPU ever since first installing it.
I'm truly crushed and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also would it make sense to move this thread/somewhere else as it doesn't seem to be RAM related anymore?