Help! New Build Won't boot/no video

shakaka

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Hey I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas/suggestions for me. I have just thrown together a new build for myself and everything is hooked up as far as I can tell but I do not get any video and I tried an old pci video card and I still dont get any video.

I have a ASUS P5N-D, 8800GTS, E8400, Patriot PC6200 x 4 GBs, a 320 GB Maxtor.

The light on the board shows green and I do not hear any beeps from the POST, so I am running out of ideas after trying another older video card. Any ideas what to look at next?

Mondoman

Splendid
1) Well, you're missing a power supply. Systems normally work better if one is present...
2) Does your MB or case have a speaker? Perhaps you're not hearing any beeps because there's no speaker.
3) Most likely: your board/BIOS doesn't support the new 45nm CPUs.

shakaka

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
Says right on the box of the Mobo it supports the new 45NM processors. Yes I have a speaker hooked up and sorry I didnt mention I have a 600W PSU. Any other brilliant ideas Mondoma?

Mondoman

Splendid

Sadly this is often incorrect -- many people are having problems. According to the Asus website CPU list, the new CPUs are supported as of BIOS 0107. However, it's only in the descriptions of BIOS versions 0304 and 0402 that "support new CPUs" is mentioned. Since BIOS 0402 is dated March 21, 2008, I'm pretty sure your MB has an earlier BIOS, and thus does not have the latest "new CPU" support. If this is the issue, your MB should work fine with an older socket 775 CPU -- of course, most of us don't have spare CPUs lying around.

PS - Thank you for recognizing my brilliance -- most are not as perceptive as you!
PPS - There are sometimes issues with running 4 DIMMs; try installing just two (or even just one) and see if that allows you to boot.
PPPS - You also might have a defective power switch. Try just briefly shorting the power switch header pins instead to test this.

shakaka

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
I know the new 45NM wolfdales work with Nforce 680i and even 650i's. This is a 750 so I dont understand why it shouldnt work without needing the BIOS updated?

Mondoman

Splendid

Not with their original BIOS's.

Have you contacted Asus tech support yet? They should know more about your specific MB model. In any case, I'm just offering a suggestion based on what I've seen on the Asus site and on forums -- even with my brilliance, I could easily be wrong.