Question Help! - New PC build, Qflashed Bios to latest version, monitor goes blank - i5 12400F with Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4

Mar 12, 2022
Hello Community,

Looking for guidance on booting up my new PC .

Issue: Everything is plugged in, monitor recognizes there is a HDMI attached, but goes onto power saving mode when I turn on the computer.

Previous steps:

Q-flashed bios to F5 (latest version) on motherboard with usb - as per instructions from internet (24x motherboard power connected and the 2x4 pins from power supply), then assembled all the parts to turn on PC.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660M-DS3H-DDR4-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Since it didnt work, I have reset the CMOS thing by removing the battery for 5 minutes from the motherboard with no power connectivity. Reassembled parts, turned on comp, same issue - monitor blank.

After, Q-flashed Bios to F5(latest version) again on motherboard with usb, then assembled all parts to turn on PC - same issue, monitor still blank

Notes:

Keyboard and mouse lights up when computer turns on, all fans work, LEDs all light up (so I believe electricity is flowing through the motherboard.

Core: i5-12400F

Mother board: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4

GPU: old R9 280

Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO CMW32GXM2C3200C18 32 gb kit 2x16GB

Power supply: Thermaltake Tough power Grand 850W RGB 80+ Gold sync

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

assembled all parts to turn on PC - same issue, monitor still blank

have you tried a different display?

and i would imagine you do have this display connected directly to the graphics card, not motherboard rear I/O?

also, you mention flashing the BIOS so many times i will just assume that you believe this has something to do with your issue.
was the system functioning properly before the latest BIOS update?

Mar 12, 2022
have you tried a different display?

and i would imagine you do have this display connected directly to the graphics card, not motherboard rear I/O?

also, you mention flashing the BIOS so many times i will just assume that you believe this has something to do with your issue.
was the system functioning properly before the latest BIOS update?
Hi John,

1) Have tried 2 different displays that work with my old/current computer.

2) yep directly to the graphics card

3) initially I assembled it fully straight from the packaging - and the monitor was blank - googling it, realised it needed a updated BIOS (because base motherboard BIOS version is not compatible with the CPU I bought). That was then when I Q flashed it to the latest version.

Mar 27, 2022
Issue: Everything is plugged in, monitor recognizes there is a HDMI attached, but goes onto power saving mode when I turn on the computer.

Hello,

Did you manage to resolve this?
I'm having the same issue with the same mobo/CPU

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
Updating the BIOS resolved this issue!
BIOS rev F1 doesn't appear to support any CPUs according to the Gigabyte website.
Update to the latest rev (F5 at time of writing) and all is well.
No different CPU required to update BIOS in this case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackink
Mar 26, 2022
I was fighting to start the same CPU/MOBO setup and after many hours realised that 2 pins are little bend over. Also try using Speaker for beep's if u got a workning one

Mar 30, 2022

Hello,

Did you manage to resolve this?
I'm having the same issue with the same mobo/CPU

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
Updating the BIOS resolved this issue!
BIOS rev F1 doesn't appear to support any CPUs according to the Gigabyte website.
Update to the latest rev (F5 at time of writing) and all is well.
No different CPU required to update BIOS in this case.

Hi, I'm going to build on this motherboard with i5 12400F. One question: when did you do your BIOS update? Before installing CPU and other components, or did you get the PC going and then update the BIOS?

Mar 27, 2022
I'm in no way an expert on this, so make sure you check my answers!

I'd say check your firmware version first, because you may not have to.
I think the website said that F2 supported this CPU.
Of course, having a completely up-to-date BIOS firmware is probably good.
In which case, update it as soon as you can?

I had already built up my system, as I never thought the BIOS would be an issue.
I don't think this CPU has onboard graphics, so not sure if that will stop you updating it before building up the system.

If you try updating the BIOS earlier in the build, let us know how you get on!

Hope this helps, good luck!

Reactions: Genomic
Mar 30, 2022
I'm in no way an expert on this, so make sure you check my answers!

I'd say check your firmware version first, because you may not have to.
I think the website said that F2 supported this CPU.
Of course, having a completely up-to-date BIOS firmware is probably good.
In which case, update it as soon as you can?

I had already built up my system, as I never thought the BIOS would be an issue.
I don't think this CPU has onboard graphics, so not sure if that will stop you updating it before building up the system.

If you try updating the BIOS earlier in the build, let us know how you get on!

Hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks a lot for the answer! I will update my results here when I'm done

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022
I put together a system last evening using this CPU and motherboard combo. Here's what I did and my results:

1. I updated the BIOS to version F5 straight out of the box. Just plugged in the power supply to the motherboard and used Q-Flash plus via a USB. (There are a couple of YouTube videos showing this process with this very same motherboard). The process took around 15 minutes.
  2. Put together rest of the components.
  3. Connected my monitor to the GPU using HDMI (NOT Display Port; will do that after all driver updates).

Result: My system posted on the very first try! Everything is in order except one of the case fans showing 'N/A'. I don't know whether the fan is faulty or the 3rd fan header on the motherboard is. I didn't get time to check in detail, will do that after work today.

Also, the CPU clock speed shows as 3.99 Ghz;, not sure if this is the best or needs some tweaking in the BIOS. If anyone has suggestions (also about the case fan issue), it'd be great.
Overall, I am quite elated (and relieved) since this is the first PC I've built and having read so many negative views about this DS3H motherboard, I was happily surprised it worked on the first try. Of course, I haven't yet put the rig to test.

Just thought I'll put my experience here in case it helps someone with this CPU-Motherboard combo.