[SOLVED] [HELP] No video output after repasting

Feb 5, 2022
I repasted my laptop after having thermal issues and generally cleaned the dust as well. I thought there were screws holding the heat sink on the other side of the motherboard so I unplugged all the connectors and took the motherboard out, but turns out the old thermal paste was stuck pretty good. I plugged everything in and made sure to not tighten the heat sink too hard, but now I don’t have video output on the internal screen and my external monitor. The fans spin and the keyboard backlighting turns on however. Another thing to mention is that one of the plugs I had unplugged and replugged happens to be the cmos battery and I may have unplugged it before the battery. What are the troubleshooting steps for this? What components could be the issue?

SPECS FOR REFERENCE:
I5 7300hq
1050ti
16gb 2400 MHz ram
256gb ssd

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to disconnect/remove the battery for the laptop, then remove the stick(s) of ram, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain any residual power from the board. While the ram is out, take an eraser and wipe the gold contacts clean with said eraser, wipe or blow clean off of any rubber debris and then reseat in the slot it was initially in when you opened up the laptop's lid.

Reconnect the laptop to the wall(not the battery) and then see if you can get it to POST/get to BIOS.

Make and model of your laptop? An SKU would help us two fold.

Lutfij

Titan

You might want to disconnect/remove the battery for the laptop, then remove the stick(s) of ram, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to drain any residual power from the board. While the ram is out, take an eraser and wipe the gold contacts clean with said eraser, wipe or blow clean off of any rubber debris and then reseat in the slot it was initially in when you opened up the laptop's lid.

Reconnect the laptop to the wall(not the battery) and then see if you can get it to POST/get to BIOS.

Solution
Feb 5, 2022

does it matter if the ram sticks get swapped? They are the same model. I’m kinda dumb and forgot to keep track of which is which

Feb 5, 2022

Holy <Mod Edit> it actually booted. THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by a moderator: