[SOLVED] Help (Not sure if software or hardware issue at this point

Jul 27, 2021
Basically, I dont know what to do anymore. I have tried literally everything.
But my PC started crashing a lot (sometimes BSOD with different errors). After a Ubuntu Install (Without removing Windows).
I have tried to install Windows and other OS (Arch Linux, Ubuntu... u name it I tried it) but it is stable during install and everything works fine. Arch Linux is stable with gnome GUI.
I cant get windows or ubuntu to work. Fresh installs from different USBs to different SSDs. I always have my PC hang up on me or crash after I log in (Usually after opening a browers (Firefox, Chrome, Explorer).
Usually Windows doesnt even recognize the Apps I have installed until like 5min after I logged in. Like chrome is just the default as if the image was missing. I have flashed the BIOS, Wiped all drives completly (Also switched around from MBR to GPT partitioning). But it isnt helping. Memtest runs okay until it gets to the Patterns and stuff and fails because to many Errors.

Specs:
Gigabyte Aorus B365M Elite
2x8GB RAM
1060 TI 6GB
Intel 9700KF
3 Different SSD Hard drives (2 connected over SATA one over M.2 (Sata) all in AHCI.

I have a feeling something within the Bootloader is corrupt or the Bios is. How can I fix this? How can I diagnose this any further to get a solution. I am able to run Live USB (Terminal) and gather info/logs of crash events if needed. I currently have windows installed but it is NOT Stable enough to run anything.

The Temps of the Hardware are all in normal Ranges (Less than 85C)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
"Memtest runs okay until it gets to the Patterns and stuff and fails because to many Errors. "

Sounds like your BINGO right there.

If your memory isn't operating properly it's likely causing the corruption you speak of. Try a different kit and/or turn of "XMP", etc.

Jul 27, 2021
I dont have extra RAM lying around, but I will test each of them individually. XMP is turned off anyways. But honestly I have never had a RAM stick fail or hear of that happening tbh... so I dont think/hope its not the RAM.

Burnin Test (memtest) is showing serious Errors: Error verifying Data in RAM

Last edited:
"Memtest runs okay until it gets to the Patterns and stuff and fails because to many Errors. "

Sounds like your BINGO right there.

If your memory isn't operating properly it's likely causing the corruption you speak of. Try a different kit and/or turn of "XMP", etc.

Besides that , you can also try to remove 1 of the memory sticks.

You have 2x8GB of RAM right? Remove 1 stick of RAM and keep the other one. Try the PC for an hour or so. If no error, then you can exchnage the sticks (remove the one you already tried) and test the second one.

If memory is faulty then you may still be able to keep one of the stick working till you get a new kit or whatever fix you do.

Jul 27, 2021
Honestly, sometimes its so simple to figure it out. But I was recently messing with linux figuring out how to install the right bootloader and everything. I thought I broke it by installing something incorrectly.
I probably would have never come to the conclusion that the RAM just broke at the same time. I got an OS running and sometimes it didnt crash during install...
And everytime I log in it either crashes or it just closes windows by itself that I just opened. I have been on this for 2 weeks bc I kept thinking I installed something incorrectly and Resetting to defaults didnt fix anything.

My PC seems to be running fine on that 1 RAM stick and ill be returning the other one soon.
The other RAM stick (Running by itself) didnt boot or just crashed my PC during the memtest. But the second one seems fine. If the issue persist ill make a new Thread!

Thank you guys

Reactions: RodroX
Honestly, sometimes its so simple to figure it out. But I was recently messing with linux figuring out how to install the right bootloader and everything. I thought I broke it by installing something incorrectly.
I probably would have never come to the conclusion that the RAM just broke at the same time. I got an OS running and sometimes it didnt crash during install...
And everytime I log in it either crashes or it just closes windows by itself that I just opened. I have been on this for 2 weeks bc I kept thinking I installed something incorrectly and Resetting to defaults didnt fix anything.

My PC seems to be running fine on that 1 RAM stick and ill be returning the other one soon.
The other RAM stick (Running by itself) didnt boot or just crashed my PC during the memtest. But the second one seems fine. If the issue persist ill make a new Thread!

Thank you guys

Test the working stick for at least a few days, just to be sure.

Reactions: seaweed1603