Help on a ~$1500 Gaming PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bikefish

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime before the end of the year, most likely in the coming week

Budget Range: Not over $1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (World of Tanks, Civilization IV & V, Company of Heroes mostly along with some others), Some light recreational CAD work, music and media viewing

Parts Not Required: Display, speakers and backup HDD.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I have the list made up on Newegg and would like all parts to be from there unless there is an outrageous deal.

Parts Preferences: Im leaning Intel and NVidia, but am flexible.

Overclocking: Maybe, but would mostly likely not be heavy duty.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes/Maybe I plan on upgrading the Graphics card later. This may be going to twin cards, or a single more powerful one.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: This is replacing a laptop, so I need to get a keyboard and mouse.

The list I currently have folows
Processor Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASUS P877Z-V
RAM Corsair Vengance 16GB
Graphics Card MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660
SSD , OCZ Vertex4 128GB
CPU Cooler Corsair H60
Power Supply Carsair HX Series HX750 750W
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 with 2x200mm Case Fan and 1x 140mm Case Fan to be used instead of the stock fans
Keyboard Logitech G110
Mouse Logitech G9x
OS Windows 8

Any suggestions, comments and recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance

bikefish

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
The changes I made were going to the 256GB version of the OCZ Vertex4 over the 128GB per your advice. Also took the power supply you suggested. I was stubborn and stuck with the ASUS motherboard. Settled on the GTX 670 FTW from EVGA (most of my regular games are Nvidia optimized ones, and the card is just going to crush older games anyway). What you guys are all going to go what the french about is that I did end up with 32GB of RAM. It was on sale for only ~$15 then a good 16GB kit, about the same as a great 16GB kit, and was not a bad kit (G.Skill Ripjaws Z @1866), so I jumped *dives into foxhole with aspestos undies to avoid flames* :whistle: That made me stick with the H60, because I was concerned about covering up the closet DIMM slot with a larger air cooler.

98octane

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

Sorry had to say, if u r going for i5,i think fx8350 is far better option ,with asus crosshair v mobo.. but offcourse if bikefish still wants i7 then its different issue. also the money he wil save can get him gtx680. though i personally use 2x sapphire vapor 7970 6gbs

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Hahaha. Not a bad list in the end, and as for the 16 GB vs. 32 GB... You obviously know it is unlikely to ever really be beneficial, but at a $15 difference from a 16 GB kit I certainly can't fault you for grabbing it. Nice build.

98octane

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
since am a AMD guy so i wil suggest this

AMD FX8350 $195
ASUS CROSSHAIR V $251
2X8 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE (though anything more than 8 is overkill) around $100
SAPPHIRE VAPOR X RADEON 7970 6B $460 OR $560 don remember exactly plz check in new egg
CASE NZXT PHANTOM around $230
SSD 128 gb sud be enough with 1tb WD caviar blue 7200
psu if planning to crossfire later, go for 1000W or more otherwise no need. (am using EVGA supernova for gpus and their cooling as am planning to make it 3 cards soon and have a LEPA G series 1600w for evrything else )

optical drive anything that matches the color , not important

personally i don believe keyboard and mouse make u a better gamer.
i use g500 5700dpi and before u guys tell me , yes it has its downsides but i like it and used to it for many years now.
keyboard anything preferably with backlight if u like to play in dark

98octane

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

well if u simply oc 8350 at 4.8 which is stable though i reached 5.1 before the big bang lol.. it will perform much better than any i5 .. though its tough to catch up with i7 3770k but not far behind , but then again u OC i7 then its a long way ahead

98octane

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
ya i do , i saw that but late , and also in between all intel boys its fun to talk of AMD lol. but tats true using 8350 in pc . i7 3rd gen in m17x and my wife laptop is i5 , u can tel the difference

Well laptop processors are a bit different. The i5 in a laptop to my knowledge is a dual core with 2 hyper-threaded cores . Also you can get a i5 3570k im sure to 4.8 without much fuss. My 2500k people get to 5 ghz pretty easily. But its pointless to go over overclocks because that isn't what you are shipped. AMD I've been reading has awful memory controllers which does effect rendering, editing quite a bit. Also, unless you are a huge overclocker there is no reason to get a ROG board especially just for the regular builder. If you are going to list that you wise as well list a cooler with it a NH-D14 for example.

98octane

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
ya , i use noctua d14 myself .. nice guess but he already is inclined on CM ,, about AMD yes has some probs with rendering , and also single thread functions, though multi threaded stuff it does better , i got better results than 3770k but amd was oc..

well tried to post my config in profile signature but some reason not showing , wil try again

bikefish

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
Wow, this got dredged up. The system has been running great for the past two months. I could not be happier with it. Thanks again for all your help those who chipped in back in November.

@Isaiah4110: Ya, the 32GB is a bit overkill, but the system runs really fast and I never have to worry about RAM for the life of the system. I wouldn't recommend it unless you catch a great deal or have so much disposable income you can wipe with $20's.

@AMDvsIntel and NVidia-ATI arguments: I have used Intel processors in practically every computer I have used since a very very old PowerPC. Comparing OCed to nonOCed is a rather odd thing to do IMO, as if you are going to OC you will regardless of the processor. For what I have for a display, and the games I play NVidia cards are better.