[SOLVED] Help or Some info required to make Carmageddon: Max Damage run on Windows 11 with modern hardware.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I remember being able to play this game when I had a much lower spec pc, well that pc is now my office pc and cant be used for gaming on anymore.

The game boots up just fine, everything settings wise seems to be in order, but then when I hit start, the game just closes and I would like to find a solution for this game to run it properly and get some game time in with it.

Don't know if my pc specs can be seen, but I have it all listed here under my Signature.

Running Windows 11 Home 64bit, and my hardware can handle all other games that I have access too.

Post something if you have similar scenario, or if you know how I and others whom have not found a method to resolve this.

Specs;
Coolermaster Gamer Case.
Intel i5 10600K 4.8GHz Hyper-Threading Hex Core Processor. (CPU) Intel Stock LGA 1200 Cooler. Gigabyte B460M D3H Motherboard.
24GB 2133 MHz Dual-Channel (8GB+4GB Corsair DDR4 & 8GB+4GB Corsair DDR4) (RAM). Asus ROG AMD RX Vega 64 Graphics Card 8GB. (GPU)
Antec HCG Extreme 1000 Watt Gold Power Supply. (PSU). Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (NVMe) Installed Operating System & Installed Games & Downloads.
Western Digital Blue 2TB SN550 (NVMe) Installed Games. 2x Seagate 2TB 7200rpm Hard Drives, (HDD) Games Backup. 1x Seagate 10TB 7200rpm Hard Drive (HDD) Movies.
LG DVD Rewritable Drive. Microsoft VHD Blue Ray Image Drive. D-Link 300Mbps Usb WiFi. Microsoft Usb Keyboard. XGR Usb Led Gaming Mouse.
Logitech 30 Watt RMS Stereo Speakers. Phillips 1000 Watt RMS AMP & 5.1 Speakers. LG 24inch 1080p 144Hz Monitor (capable of 4K @ 120Hz).
Microsoft Windows 10 & 11 Home 64bit Usb Install media and activation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
For future reference: I generally consult pcgamingwiki.com when trying to get older games to run. 9 out of 10 times they have listed all the fixes necessary to get troublesome games up and running again.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You could try and run the game's launcher in compatibility mode, i.e, Right click app>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7(from the drop down menu)...though where did you source the installer for the game?

Hey Hi there, thanks for replying.

It's a steam downloaded game, and usually launch such games through the steam app itself [ the play button ] next to the downloaded and installed title.

Well if it requires launch arguments, how would I then be able to implement that on a steam game. [ Do you believe that this game's failure to run lies with that on my pc ]
(I do note that my steam games have an launch options where some command could be entered if required under the general tab of each game)

At this point I don't have a clue what could be hindering play of this game, read some things about certain KB windows updates that are required, but I have not done anything in that regard yet, I'm under the impression that my OS is fully up to date.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You could try and run the game's launcher in compatibility mode, i.e, Right click app>Properties>Compatibility tab>Windows 7(from the drop down menu)...though where did you source the installer for the game?

Now that I think about it, I believe I have tried launch arguments for compatibility some months ago without success.

Reading up on the compatibility with Carmageddon: Max Damage and Vega Based AMD GPU's, there seems to be an hackish resolve that turn one self implementing the required files that haven't been patched but can be downloaded, extracted and placed in the game dir.

Here is the link: Releases · doitsujin/dxvk · GitHub I'll give that a go after I have downloaded the game again.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Go to windows settings->graphics and browse to the exe file and choose power saving so that the game runs on your CPU's iGPU.
Should still run well enough.

I don't have my iGPU of my CPU enabled, won't be able to do that.

Hope there could be a resolve without much performance loss, I believe I had perfect performance on my previous GPU with this game, and then it was a AMD HD7950 3GB.

Would be quite a shame if I could not reap the gain of an more modern than before GPU with the same game.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Right I have a playable game now, took these files: Releases · doitsujin/dxvk · GitHub and place both 64bit and 32bit in the game's bin folder, Carmageddon: Max Damage is running now.

To stabilize the fps I set shadows to low and car reflections to low, all other settings on the highest my hardware can manage, 144Hz 1080p, getting 100fps.

Now I'm going to play bit and see if it holds. So far so good, settings are holding. Game not closing or crashing anymore on my Vega based hardware, I'd say this is a viable solution to make this game at least playable.

Last edited:

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Now I can just hope that whomever owns Carmageddon: Max Damage now can put some work in and fix this up and have it sent through to the gamers having this error.
An update on steam for the game would suffice, cant be expected to fiddle with manually patching files for the end gamer on a purchased game, now can we.