Question HELP! PC power cycling, stays on for about 20 seconds, turns off for 2-5 seconds then repeats.

Sep 15, 2022
I've had my PC for about a year now. I've been having a power cycling problem with my PC for a while. Previously i've got it to turn on after having it power cycle for 20+ minutes. However whenever it turns off I have to deal with it power cycling until it turns on. This is really unusual and I really want to deal with this problem. Most recently my PC force shut down while I was rendering something in Blender, it power cycled, turned on but now there was no display output from both the integrated graphics and my GPU. Tried troubleshooting which required my to unplug my PC and now it won't stop power-cycling.

When it power cycles the fans light up and spin, The cooling system, RAM and GPU also light up as well. Always stays on for about 18-22 seconds then turns off for about 2-5 seconds. Repeats.

Some troubleshooting i've tried.
  • Checked my PSU (650W) , and tested with my friend's PSU (850W), it still continued to power cycle.
  • Tried reseating RAM
  • Tried reseating GPU (Also tested my GPU in my friend's pc and it worked fine so not a GPU problem)
  • Reapplied thermal paste
  • Tried reseating CPU cooling system

I'm not really sure what the problem is here. My main suspect is the motherboard but from what I've read a defective motherboard results in the system not working at all, however, I've had similar power cycling problems which resolved on it's own where the PC worked perfectly fine. I'm thinking about replacing my motherboard but wanted to ask on the forums if there were any other things I could try to get my PC to stop power-cycling.

Specs:
CPU: i7-11700K
Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT Liquid Cooling
Motherboard: Asus PrimE Z590-P
GPU: Geforce RTX 3060 12gb
PSU : 650W 80 plus bronze
RAM: 2x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4
Storage: 4TB seagate HDD And Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD

JayGau

Honorable
Dec 20, 2016
Does it boot after a few power cycles or it does that forever? I have seen those multiple power cycles with ASUS boards when the CPU or the RAM was too much overclocked. The computer power cycles a few time, then CMOS gets reset and it boots with the BIOS default settings. So it happens when the system is not able to initialize itself because of bad CPU or RAM configuration or incompatible hardware, like a RAM speed not supported by the motherboard, for example.

I would try to do a CMOS reset first and make sure your RAM is listed as officially supported by the motherboard. If the computer can reach the BIOS settings, try to do a BIOS update (if it's a RAM problem a new firmware version could fix compatibility issues). Also, like rgd1101 said, if you tried reseating the CPU you may have bent a pin and that could lead to those power cycles (that could be the case only if it never boots).

I've had my PC for about a year now. I've been having a power cycling problem with my PC for a while. Previously i've got it to turn on after having it power cycle for 20+ minutes. However whenever it turns off I have to deal with it power cycling until it turns on. This is really unusual and I really want to deal with this problem. Most recently my PC force shut down while I was rendering something in Blender, it power cycled, turned on but now there was no display output from both the integrated graphics and my GPU. Tried troubleshooting which required my to unplug my PC and now it won't stop power-cycling.

When it power cycles the fans light up and spin, The cooling system, RAM and GPU also light up as well. Always stays on for about 18-22 seconds then turns off for about 2-5 seconds. Repeats.

Some troubleshooting i've tried.
  • Checked my PSU (650W) , and tested with my friend's PSU (850W), it still continued to power cycle.
  • Tried reseating RAM
  • Tried reseating GPU (Also tested my GPU in my friend's pc and it worked fine so not a GPU problem)
  • Reapplied thermal paste
  • Tried reseating CPU cooling system
I'm not really sure what the problem is here. My main suspect is the motherboard but from what I've read a defective motherboard results in the system not working at all, however, I've had similar power cycling problems which resolved on it's own where the PC worked perfectly fine. I'm thinking about replacing my motherboard but wanted to ask on the forums if there were any other things I could try to get my PC to stop power-cycling.

Specs:
CPU: i7-11700K
Cooling: Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT Liquid Cooling
Motherboard: Asus PrimE Z590-P
GPU: Geforce RTX 3060 12gb
PSU : 650W 80 plus bronze
RAM: 2x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4
Storage: 4TB seagate HDD And Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD
Cheap test.

Replace the bios bat.

Sep 15, 2022
Thanks for the replies.

• The PSU model is EVGA 650W 80 Bronze power supply. My friend's is a EVGA 850W gold PSU.
  • It power cycles pretty much forever, doesn't end. I was able to get into BIOS once however.
  • I did a CMOS reset and was able to get into BIOS once, it also displayed on the monitor meaning my GPU input is hopefully functioning again. On thing I did notice is my chipset temp is unusually high at 79C. Also my RAM is supported by my motherboard.
  • I'll try to reseat my CPU and check for any bent pins next. I'll also try replacing the battery as well.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS