Help picking a new monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

STrain

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
I currently have a 1440p monitor but am looking to get another monitor also. My current monitor is 27" and honestly I'm only upgrading because I can. I'm not looking to buy any of the monitors today or tomorrow but I'm going to wait for a sale or price drop or both. My current monitor is a 1440p with a PLS panel and 60hz refresh rate.

The monitors I am looking at are as follows:
http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UC97-S-ultrawide-monitor

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009658

I do know that the 4k will take a lot more graphics power to run so it is probably my last choice at the moment. The ultrawide is probably what I am leaning towardsw the most because I think it looks amazing. One thing holding me back from it is that I do not know how long until one with things like g sync will be out. The ROG Swift monitor looks awesome and even though its the same size as my current Asus it is just clearly a nicer monitor. I'm already playing on a 5ms monitor and that doeswnt seem to bother me. I'm just honestly stuck and looking for advice and opinions to help think through the decision. I'm not worried about anything like what graphics cards or hardware I will need to run any of the monitors. The main reason for that is that I will be upgrading my hardware accordingly. Thank you all for all the help and just helping me make the best decision.!

STrain

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Thanks!

I edited that monitor into the OP. I think I actually saw his vid on it but for some reason it slipped my mind. I really think the ultrawide looks nice too. It was actually one of Linus's videos that brought them to my attention. The face that he said that he thought it was better than 4k is making me lean more towards it.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

The thing is though, you're going to need series hardware for that ultrawide 1440P monitor. It's like running two 1440P monitors at once! At least with the 4K g-sync monitor, you're going to have the benefits of 4K and g-sync at the same time!

STrain

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Wouldnt the 4k still be more demanding though?

ZeusGamer

Admirable

What kind of GPU do you have? 4K is demanding, yes, but if you have a decent GPU, it should work like magic specially if you've got a really good Nvidia GPU. Gsync will smoothen your gameplay with no problem whatsoever.
But the ultrawide monitor that you want is really good too. It's like having two 1440P monitor built in to one.
The thing is, that isn't gsync ready.

STrain

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

I only have a 4gb 770. I will be purchasing a new or multiple new graphics card(s) along with the monitor depending on what I choose. Not having g-sync is a drawback but since I haven't actually experienced it yet I'm not sure how much of an issue it is for me. Also I'm not sure yet that I'm sold on 4k compared to the curved ultra wide. It seems like that just may provide an overall better experience.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Wow! GTX 770 with 4GB of VRAM is enough for 4K with gsync enabled.
But like you said, you're really sold on the ultrawide monitor. It looked really beautiful when Linus reviewed it.
SLIng your GTX 770 would even better your experience with any of these monitors. So it's really up to you which one you choose. I'm just more inclined to choose 4K just because my best friend has a 4K gsync enabled monitor hehe.

STrain

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Well I'm not sure about a 770 being able to run 4k because I have problems with 1440p as it is but the fact that your saying that the 4k is really that awesome is changing where I'm leaning haha

ZeusGamer

Admirable

That's just because I've experienced 4K with gsync enabled lol. It plays amazingly with all the games man. The fluidity of the games make it seem like it's on 60 FPS all the time. Even if the game was on 40 FPS, it feels like it's on 60 just because of that damn gsync module. As you can tell, I am very jealous because I can't really access this kind of technology because I'm with team red at the moment haha. But I will be getting GTX 970 very soon, then I'll be getting that same 4K monitor!

STrain

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Thank you for all of the information! I was hoping that this thread would help me pick one but it seems like I'm back to square one now. I have a little while before I plan to purchase one so regardless it isnt a huge issue. I appreciate all the information though. I really wish I could just compare the two in person haha.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

I know exactly what you mean haha. Luckily though, I've got a friend who's got one of these technologies and I've seen what it can do. Hopefully you find the right upgrade you are looking for. Have fun with whatever you're trying to do man!

Status
Not open for further replies.