Question Help picking new wireless routers

CNappi87

Commendable
Mar 10, 2020
Hey everyone, I currently have two linksys routers, one is in bridge mode hard wired into a second router connected directly into my modem downstairs. The one in bridge mode is providing WIFI to my upstairs as well as a hardwired connection to my xbox and smart TV in my upstairs bonus room. I have had to power cycle my modem and both routers 2-3 times due to dropped internet connection (connection to the wifi network was still active) in the last week after having no issues for 2-3 years. Does sound like a router issue? If so, any recommendations for new routers that would work well with that setup? Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Hey everyone, I currently have two linksys routers, one is in bridge mode hard wired into a second router connected directly into my modem downstairs. The one in bridge mode is providing WIFI to my upstairs as well as a hardwired connection to my xbox and smart TV in my upstairs bonus room. I have had to power cycle my modem and both routers 2-3 times due to dropped internet connection (connection to the wifi network was still active) in the last week after having no issues for 2-3 years. Does sound like a router issue? If so, any recommendations for new routers that would work well with that setup? Thanks
You need the order to be modem -> router -> router (as AP). You should not have the bridge (AP) first.

frogr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Maybe your IP provider updated your modem firmware which caused the problems to occur. Try updating the routers' firmware as well.
Does it help to turn them all off and power them on in this sequence - modem - router - bridged router allowing each one to finish boot before turning on ht e next one

Nov 23, 2022
Hi this is Gulshan
Well, previously I also suffered from the same problem. I will recommend you to look for a router that supports the latest wireless standards, such as 802.11ac or 802.11ax (also known as Wi-Fi 6), as they offer faster speeds and better range than older standards.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: