help picking used business laptop

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
Hi I've been browsing this site for a long time but for once i'm finally stumped and it doesn't seem like all my research is paying off. recently I recovered my bosses wife's laptop. its a dell inspiron windows 8 laptop. its basically junk. its beat, super slow and doesn't have many options. basically not worth spending any money to upgrade. So she wants a new laptop and I recommended a used business grade laptop as that is what i bought myself and I love it(dell e6430s ) So i made a little questioner for her on the options that she wants to have and then I'm adding some myself just to make it a little future proof for her. so min specs are:

14" or larger display, touchscreen and 1080p or better
optical drive for dvd prefer bluray (doesn't have to come with the laptop there just needs to have a bay with a drive available )
gig ethernet
4th gen or newer i5 or i7 dual core or better
atleast 16gb ddr3 memory
2.5" storage drive
some sort of digital video output (hdmi, mini hdmi, display port ect. )
and of course I would like this to be a business grade laptop or workstation. It wont get used for anything much other than normal web browsing , some accounting work and she has about 24 thousand pictures and videos of her grand kids.

No matter what the current configuration is I plan on using a 500 gb samsung pro ssd and 16 gb of gskill memory. It will also be running windows 10 pro.

I am trying to put something together that will basically be bullet proof for a while so I wont have to work on it. So a tough case and good motherboard is a must. Obviously she wont need 16gb of ram right now but in years to come it seems like systems like more and more of it.

I have found a few systems I liked but its unclear on if it has a touch screen or not. This is whats throwing me through a loop. I personally would care less about a touch screen but she likes it. I really liked the dell m3800 but there is no optical drive. Hp makes a second gen Zbook but i'm unsure what models came with a touch screen (doesn't seem to be well advertised.)

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

RealBeast

Titan
Recently, I've bought quite a few Dell M6800 refurb units and done some upgrades on them. Many come with W10 and Dell is sold out on them so I've used EBay but have had no problems and parts are available in abundance on EBay out of China -- for example backlit KB $25 sort of things. Depends on your need but the last two that I did were around $500-600 plus a couple hundred in parts (SSD, memory, i7 CPU) and they turned out great.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
I was looking at the m6800. I could not find anywhere that it had a touch screen. it was documented that the m6600 had one...I have seen a number of them for sale on refurb websites. Were all the ones you got touch screens then? If its one of those things that they all were across the board then ya i've already came across ones in the price range I need it to be in so i can upgrade the ram and storage along with adding microsoft office and what not.

fastcompany2

Prominent
Oct 8, 2018
I'm sorry I got lost in all my research. yes the m6800 had 3 display options and 1 of them being a touch screen. My issue was while investigating buying options that it was not listed what display the system was coming with. I'm not sure how popular it was to purchase these with a touch screen originally but I guess it may be worth a call to one of the vendors to ask if what they are selling is indeed a touch screen model.