Help please. Computer screen blank after waking up from sleep mode - Intermittent problem

aydterracer2005

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I am looking for some suggestions on how to correct this issue. Occasionally when I attempt to wake up my computer from sleep mode my monitor says it doesn't have a signal. My case fans, lights, etc all come back on but not my graphics/display?

As I stated this is an intermittent issue. My wife is convinced that it only happens when the computer goes to sleep on its own as opposed to us manually putting it to sleep but I'm not sure that's the case. I have a work around that someone told me to try and it does work but is a pain to do. I was told to shutdown the PC and with a screwdriver tap the ends of the 2 pins above above the CMOS battery to act as a reset. Like I said, this does work but I would rather not have to open My case and just have the computer wake up like it is supposed to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My specs ( I know they are old in looking to build a new PC but this one works great most of the time for my older games and causal use)

Q6600 CPU
8800GT 512mb GPU
4 GB DDR2 Ram
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

You can try to update BIOS. And if the Monitor is old enough then the capacitors may be causing problems. If you are comfortable to disassemble the monitor, then do it, and look for bulging or exploding capacitors, this is usually the sign of faulty capacitors. If so then replace those with ones of correct value, hopefully all will be fine. Or you can find a local tech.

One more thing, try a different monitor, to isolate the problem.

thedudenl

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I had this issue, the screen not coming back after sleep mode but the computer seems to be working fine in the background.
If you have by any chance installed Samsung Magician, please get rid of it!

I've received this 'magical' piece of software with my EVO 840 SSD and never suspected it before I actually saw an error on the screen after resuming from sleep mode within a few seconds. It is ridiculous of Samsung to ship this piece of crap software with their drives since it's been known that it can cause this behavior.

Hope this can help people, it has cost me many hours of troubleshooting, I even re-installed windows 7 and thought the problem was gone, but of course it started again after I installed Magician, thats why I got suspicious!

Eriobis

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014
I have the exact same drive ( ssd ) and got the same problem as well, I've been using the computer without the sleep mode for ... 2 years now. But now eht computer is near where I sleep and I'm tired of listening to the fans, I did format and got back to original settings. When I wake up the computer, you hear the system wake up but there's no signal to the monitors.
I don't have samsung magician installed yet so I don't think it's the cause ... but it might be the ssd manager or something like that