[SOLVED] Help please! Computer won't turn on anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikyGumball

Prominent
May 17, 2020
The computer is about a year and a half old.

Specs: Ryzen 7 2700 Asus ROG STRIX RTX 2070 Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Motherboard Corsair Vengance RGB Pro 3200mhz 8gb x2 Corsair H100i AIO Corsair RM850x Power supply

I was playing a game at settings that were under the maximum capacity my pc could handle, and out of nowhere it shut off like my power had just gone out. I turned the power supply off, then back on and all my motherboard and graphics card lights were showing. When I pressed the power button it turns on for half a second and turns right back off. If I try to press the power button again, nothing happens, if I flip the power switch off and on it does the exact same thing as before.

I've tried using 3 different power cords, I've tried the paper clip method, and I've tested my power button. Nothing has fixed this. Please leave some suggestions, as I think this is as far as my knowledge can go on my own.

This is what's happening: View: http://imgur.com/a/e6AzKiv

Solution
Unplug everything. Leave only the pump installed on cpu_fan header, 20+4 pin mains, eps/cpu power and 1 stick of ram in slot A2, power button. Pull the gpu, storage, monitor, mouse, keyboard, fans, switches, leds, everything.

Then try the power button. If it boots, great. Start adding 1 thing at a time until it doesn't boot. If it doesn't, and there's a debug led lit stuck on vga, then you'll need the graphics card only installed.

Chances are it's either a motherboard or psu failure, but you'll need absolute bare minimums to see that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unplug everything. Leave only the pump installed on cpu_fan header, 20+4 pin mains, eps/cpu power and 1 stick of ram in slot A2, power button. Pull the gpu, storage, monitor, mouse, keyboard, fans, switches, leds, everything.

Then try the power button. If it boots, great. Start adding 1 thing at a time until it doesn't boot. If it doesn't, and there's a debug led lit stuck on vga, then you'll need the graphics card only installed.

Chances are it's either a motherboard or psu failure, but you'll need absolute bare minimums to see that.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
May 18, 2021
I had one of those, I was working on my papers for over a day and it just burned out (then I was advised by bestcustomwriting.com and my computer was on fire from the games).
The easiest way to determine the cause of a fault is by the sound of the speaker. If nothing is working but the computer beeps, i.e. makes beeping noises, then you are in luck because you can identify the source of the problem. If you have never heard a beeping sound from the system unit, the squeaker may not be connected to the motherboard. If the system unit has a speaker, or if the squeaker comes with the motherboard (but was left in the box) try connecting the speaker to the "Speaker" pins on the motherboard (refer to the motherboard manual for more details).

SpikyGumball

Prominent
May 17, 2020

Thanks I will try this. Do I need to pull everything out of only the motherboard, or the ps aswell?

SpikyGumball

Prominent
May 17, 2020

Turns out it's my GPU, I tried putting it into a different PCIE slot and it did the same thing. The only other thing I can think of would be the PCIE cables.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Boot is a power cycle. When you turn on the pc all you need is the barest minimum for that cycle to happen. Don't need a mouse or fans or even a monitor, a pc just needs motherboard, power to motherboard, cpu, cpu cooler and a ram stick. It just needs to cycle through to bios, in preparation for storage to load the OS.

Most Intel and Amd will do that without even a gpu, but some do require a working gpu to get past the VGA verification, it's 1 of the 4 debug leds on the motherboard.

If a pc won't boot with bare minimums, it won't boot at all, regardless of what is or isn't plugged in, but removing the items plugged in puts you at a bare minimum state, I've seen pc's drive ppl crazy with boot issues and turned out to be a shorted cable from the keyboard. Removing the keyboard removed the issues, so remove everything that can affect the boot process, then add pieces back 1 at a time until boot fails, and you now have a suspect.

SpikyGumball

Prominent
May 17, 2020
Boot is a power cycle. When you turn on the pc all you need is the barest minimum for that cycle to happen. Don't need a mouse or fans or even a monitor, a pc just needs motherboard, power to motherboard, cpu, cpu cooler and a ram stick. It just needs to cycle through to bios, in preparation for storage to load the OS.

Most Intel and Amd will do that without even a gpu, but some do require a working gpu to get past the VGA verification, it's 1 of the 4 debug leds on the motherboard.

If a pc won't boot with bare minimums, it won't boot at all, regardless of what is or isn't plugged in, but removing the items plugged in puts you at a bare minimum state, I've seen pc's drive ppl crazy with boot issues and turned out to be a shorted cable from the keyboard. Removing the keyboard removed the issues, so remove everything that can affect the boot process, then add pieces back 1 at a time until boot fails, and you now have a suspect.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I did that, I did that and it booted up everytime until the graphics card.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok then. You've done almost all you can do. Knowing it's an issue with the gpu only thing left is to test that in a known working pc or test a seperate gpu in ypurs. I know you tried other slots, but there does remain 2 possibilities. The psu and the motherboard. The psu may have an issue supplying power, the motherboard could have an issue supplying power through the slot.

Remove them as possibilities, it's a sure bet the card is dead. Maybe.

Quite a few gpus have fuses soldered to the pcb. You'd need to look up where the fuse is and test it with a multimeter set for continuity. If you get a beep when the prongs are on both sides of the fuse, it's good. If you get silence, fuse is blown. That can be repaired.

Siver12

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
Ok then. You've done almost all you can do. Knowing it's an issue with the GPU only thing left is to test that in a known working pc or test a separate GPU in yours. I know you tried other slots, but there do remain 2 possibilities. The PSU and the motherboard. The PSU may have an issue supplying power, the motherboard could have an issue supplying power through the slot.

Quite a few GPUs have fuses soldered to the PCB. You'd need to look up where the fuse is and test it with a multimeter set for continuity. If you get a beep when the prongs are on both sides of the fuse, it's good. If you get silence, fuse is blown. That can be repaired.
I had the same exact issue it sounds like and I tried everything and it ended up being the PSU. I needed a more efficient higher-quality one. So I got a Seasonic Focus GX 750 80+ Gold and that solved everything. Was using an EVGA 80+bronz 600watss and it was the BQ model. I had a lot plugged into my PC so I think it slowly destroyed the EVGA.

Siver12

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2015
If it is the PSU check this post out. The guy who wrote it helped me out huge.

Ok then. You've done almost all you can do. Knowing it's an issue with the gpu only thing left is to test that in a known working pc or test a seperate gpu in ypurs. I know you tried other slots, but there does remain 2 possibilities. The psu and the motherboard. The psu may have an issue supplying power, the motherboard could have an issue supplying power through the slot.

Quite a few gpus have fuses soldered to the pcb. You'd need to look up where the fuse is and test it with a multimeter set for continuity. If you get a beep when the prongs are on both sides of the fuse, it's good. If you get silence, fuse is blown. That can be repaired.
As far as I am aware, the fuses on graphics cards typically do not protect anything, however, they can potentially help you diagnose where damage if any occurred to the card.

kgabris

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
hi! exactly, see my post on another thread.... some people are really into putting bugs on your hardware..... like you don't leave your account open in a cybercafe if you go for a cigarette, you should not let people who you don't trust entirely, alone with your pc for more than 10 minutes..... probably you have to replace the motherboard :(

Status
Not open for further replies.