Help Please i7 4790k extremely high temps and load even at idle

Lifez Joke

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Okay, lets start by saying i've basically built my computer brand new. I purchased a computer two years ago and recently upgraded it pretty drastically buying a new Motherboard, Graphics Card, Case, And CPU.

Just to give you a visual, here is the list of the most important parts I have ( That I could think of )
--
------
--

Case:
Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Five (5) Preinstalled Fans, Side Window Panel, Top HDD Dock http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147107

Motherboard:
MSI Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770

Processor:
Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

So, now i'm going to say. I am using the stock cooler with the i7 4790k. Please don't immediately write this off as being the reason although I do know I need a better cooler. Just unsure of what to go with and hoping I can fix this solution to even sit on the desktop without being over 50 degrees Celsius ..

Although with the most basic research i've found that even with stock cooler, these are high idle temps and when on load doing gaming and recording or rendering video's my temperatures get up to 90-100 CELCIUS! That's high... right?

When I first installed this CPU, I had moderate problems, high idles and stuff. I took off the cooler

I've heard of problems with my motherboard type overclocking and setting processors while on auto to higher than what it needs to be, although i'm not very savvy with that type of thing so am not sure what it should be set to but I did see that it was set to turbo was enabled and I disabled it sadly to no avail. Still high idles..

High temperatures are even on the most basic load and stress on the computer. Often times i'm looking at the temperatures while sitting on my desktop with little to nothing even open ( Sometimes not even a browser )

There are huge spikes when put under load like games or recording. Temps up to 80 - 90 even 100 and load close behind

These pictures are taken while running pretty basic processes such as Google Chrome, and spotify. Although, They are almost the EXACT same when i'm just idling after startup.

So I restarted the computer just to prove that these temps are pretty consistent..

10 minutes within computer being started:

vi1yH4c.png

I will provide pictures from multiple programs to give you guys the best details possible.

bizX8CH.png

Sp9GMce.png

mjn4ZcL.png

wbTfn70.png

jGkgHBP.png

pECBtcs.png

RU6vqfX.png

Solution
Thank you for your excellent information. Do you have the Voltages from HWMonitor? They appear to be normal and everything looks OK to me, but I am not completely familiar with MSI BIOS. Even on the stock cooler, you should be getting lower temperatures; not more than 40C and likely even lower.

My first thought would be that the cooler is not engaged properly with the CPU, either being not locked on the motherboard properly, or having bad thermal paste contact.

Second, and very unlikely, possibility is bad TIM in the chip, but QC should have caught that.

Thank you for your excellent information. Do you have the Voltages from HWMonitor? They appear to be normal and everything looks OK to me, but I am not completely familiar with MSI BIOS. Even on the stock cooler, you should be getting lower temperatures; not more than 40C and likely even lower.

My first thought would be that the cooler is not engaged properly with the CPU, either being not locked on the motherboard properly, or having bad thermal paste contact.

Second, and very unlikely, possibility is bad TIM in the chip, but QC should have caught that.

Solution